Recording on tracks 3/4 on Tascam 464

James1!

G’day,

I’ve been having trouble recording on to tracks 3 and 4 on my Tascam... I can record on 1 and 2 with no issue using the direct setting but when I attempt to use the others nothing records. While initially playing I can see the meters on tracks 3 and 4 are picking up signal but once I’ve finished and put the tape in my tape deck to hear it I find out nothing has been record to those tracks. Any thoughts and help is appreciated.

Cheers
J

I’m only putting it into my tape deck to hear the playback on my speakers which are better then listening on the headphones I have connected to my Tascam

I put the tape in my Tascam and record direct to tracks 1/2 with no problem. But when trying to record to 3/4 directly nothing seems to record, but it does show that something is playing while playing along to tracks 1/2 on the meter with my headphones on, and there is no problem with my record button so I’m not sure why nothing is getting saved onto the tape.

You can't play tracks 3 and 4 on a standard cassette player! They only play tracks 1 and 2, flip the cassette to play tracks 3 and 4 (but that won't work because they will be backwards!)

James, is the stereo cassette machine running the speakers via a hi fi amp? If so the Tascam has, afict, track 3/4 outs and I bet you an RCA cable there is a spare AUX or tuner input pair on the amp?

Heads up new bods? ALWAYS a good idea to give the full SP of your equipment setup!

Dave.

You can't play tracks 3 and 4 on a standard cassette player! They only play tracks 1 and 2, flip the cassette to play tracks 3 and 4 (but that won't work because they will be backwards!)
Ok... how am I able to record to the extra tracks then so full playback of all 4 tracks can be heard ? At the moment for example there is only drums and guitar tracks recorded but bass and vocals need to be added.

I’m a real novice with this stuff, apologies if I haven’t been clear.

Cheers

What ecc83 says. Connect the main output to your home stereo system or something. But that just lets you listen.

At some point you'll want to share your recording with others. The vintage method was to record the stereo output to a cassette and then make copies of the cassette.

A more modern method is to record your stereo output to a computer so you can share it more easily.

Ok... how am I able to record to the extra tracks then so full playback of all 4 tracks can be heard ? At the moment for example there is only drums and guitar tracks recorded but bass and vocals need to be added.

I’m a real novice with this stuff, apologies if I haven’t been clear.

Cheers
Have you read the owners manual?
Here's one place with it for download: https://tetrakansupermonobloc.home.blog/2019/10/22/tascam-464-owners-manual/

You have to connect the output jacks of the 464 to the input jacks on your other cassette recorder (the 2-track one), this is how you mix down form 4 tracks to a standard stereo cassette. Page 23 of the manual.

Back