recording laptop?

spacedye

Vest
i just inherited this laptop-specs are here- http://compreviews.about.com/od/deskreplace/gr/SonyVGNAR230G.htm
im thinking of throwing my sonar 3 producer edition software in it and using it to record.
anyone have any thoughts of a soundcard/breakout box type thing to use for inputs as i wont be able to use my delta 1010's with this one.
any helpwould be greatly appreciated. ive been out of the loop for a while and just getting back into it.
thanks!

Sony has firewire. Get a firewire interface. Lots of good ones out there.

I've been using a Motu828mkII for over a year now.
Their 8Pre is an incredible bargain.

You'll also want to get a firewire drive to record to (you ALWAYS want to record to a secondary drive - laptop or desktop - and the interior drives on laptops are slow anyway.

thanks for the reply.
ill only be recording audio. nothing major. im not going to go nuts again like i did in the past. buying everything under the sun. then losing all the money on the resale.
i will be recording to external hard drive. ive used these same external hard drives to record to in the past. your basic LaCie 160Gb. theyre good enough for what i need.
but you think i wont have any major issues with that laptop? ill look into the Motu. i was always interested in those. as long as theyre for audio. i dont do midi at all.

the laptop hardware is fine, but Windows XP MCE might give you some trouble. I remember reading on here somewhere that it's not good for audio production.

what do you mean windows xp MCE? what is MCE?
i loaded sonar 3 into the laptop and tried opening some of my old tunes. on some of them it caused an error and had to close. maybe some of the plug-ins are incompatible? or maybe too many effects were on in the old mix?
my old recording computer was running winXP, 2.2 pent 4, 80Gb hd and 2 delta 1010s and had no problems in the past. maybe ill try uninstalling and reinstalling some of the plug-ins?
ideas anyone?

Back