Recording from two inputs simultaneously?

MrBromine

I have a mixer with analog output, a mixer with USB output, compressor mic with XLR output and a dynamic mic with USB; does anyone know a way to record from both mics simultaneously? I'm don't know if there's any software I could use to get my PC to recognise two different audio inputs or whether I'd have to convert one of the signals. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

First off, I'm not sure what a compressor mic is, maybe you mean capacitor?

That's not really important to answer your question, but I figure it best you know and use the proper terminology.

Anyhoo, most mixers with USB output are just outputting the stereo bus, so I suppose you could technically plug a mic into XLR input 1 and pan it hard left and plug the other into XLR input 2 and pan it hard right to get two hypothetically "separate" inputs.

Are you trying to record the mics simultaneously but on two separate tracks or simultaneously to a single stereo or mono track? This will also influence the answer to the software part of your question.

Mr Wrenchey - a compressor mic is apparently the same as a capacitor (it may be just be what they're called here in the UK) and only the one mic has XLR.
Gregory - recording both inputs on a single track would suffice for what I'm doing.

Ok, then just patch both mics into the mixer, get it sounding how you want with respect to panning, levels, EQ, etc, then run out from the mixer to PC USB in. There are plenty of free audio recording programs, maybe start with Audacity, which you should be able to recognize the USB audio in. Does the mixer have a USB driver to help the PC associate it to sound card or whatever?

You have one mic that is XLR (your "condenser" mic) and one mic that is USB. You can plug your condenser mic into the USB mixer and record with that. Or you can plug the dynamic into the computer and record with that. The USB mixer and USB mic both are considered as audio interfaces by the computer. But, most recording software apps won't allow you to select multiple interfaces simultaneously. Your cheapest bet is to get another "XLR" mic and use the USB mixer for both mics.

There is one or two recording apps that will allow you to select multiple interfaces, but I don't remember which ones will do that.

There is one or two recording apps that will allow you to select multiple interfaces, but I don't remember which ones will do that.

And they have to resample at least one of them so you're losing a little quality right from the start.

Back