Recording Contrabass

DungBeatle

I'm ready to record some contrabass, plucked, on it's own. All other tracks will be added later: Acoustic Guitar, Ukulele, Mandolin, Vocals. I have some OK mics: TLM103, KM184 (2x), Telefunken M60 FET (Cardioid, Hypercardioid), Rode NT1 (4x), Se Electronics Gemini II.

I have two mic preamps/channel strips: Focusrite ISA (2 channel), Grace Design m103 Channel Strip (single channel).
Currently I can only record 2 channels at a time.

So should I use 2 mics or just 1? If I should use 2, how should I set them up? Placement?
If I should use just one mic, where should I place it?
Any other considerations?

Thanks in advance!
~Bob

Phase cancellation can be a real issue with bass, and if you're mixing to resemble old-school vinyl bass pretty much has to be dead center. So what I might recommend is actually recording with two mics but then picking one instead of mixing them and putting it center.

That said, when I've recorded double-bass, I've generally gone with an LDC pointed at one of the f-holes and/or a piezo pickup on the bridge.

Phase cancellation can be a real issue with bass, and if you're mixing to resemble old-school vinyl bass pretty much has to be dead center. So what I might recommend is actually recording with two mics but then picking one instead of mixing them and putting it center.

That said, when I've recorded double-bass, I've generally gone with an LDC pointed at one of the f-holes and/or a piezo pickup on the bridge.
Thanks! I do have a pickup for the bass as well: Realist SoundClip for Double Bass.
~Bob

You could try the Telefunken M60 FET v1 or 2 feet to the left side of the bridge pointed at the F-Hole (if you want warm and not the string sound) - or more toward the center pointed at the strings ( if you a snappier/string sound) - in addition you could position the Telefunken for the warm sound - the TLM103 about 2 feet off and approximately halfway up the neck to capture the snappier string sound - and blend both according to what works.

Edit: I see you have a Soundclip - so use that with the F-Hole and the Telefunken up the strings about 2 feet off.

You could try the Telefunken M60 FET v1 or 2 feet to the left side of the bridge pointed at the F-Hole (if you want warm and not the string sound) - or more toward the center pointed at the strings ( if you a snappier/string sound) - in addition you could position the Telefunken for the warm sound - the TLM103 about 2 feet off and approximately halfway up the neck to capture the snappier string sound - and blend both according to what works.
I will try that, thanks!
~Bob

I use any of the mics I have, whether it be an SM58, an EM700, an AKG C1000, or a Rode NT2000 or one of my drum mics. I put the mic in different places, sometimes to the side, sometimes right in front, sometimes close up, sometimes 2 or 3 feet away. I always get a usable sound.

Last edited:
I use any of the mics I have, whether it be an SM58, an EM700, an AKG C1000, or a Rode NT2000 or one of my drum mics. I put the mic in different places, sometimes to the side, sometimes right in front, sometimes close up, sometimes 2 or 3 feet away. I always get a usable sound.
Thanks, I'll try them all!
~Bob

I've done the lavalier mic on the bridge, but differently than the video.
I stick the mic in one of the bridge holes with the mic pointing towards the neck.

This worked so well for recording, the musician bought another bridge piece and paid me to permanently install one on that bridge.
The musician bought a Sony ECM55B for me to use on the bridge. I used a lav mic from one of my shure wireless to record with. I notice there is a lot of choices now with lav mics, So this solution could be done at a lower price.

I've done the lavalier mic on the bridge, but differently than the video.
I stick the mic in one of the bridge holes with the mic pointing towards the neck.

This worked so well for recording, the musician bought another bridge piece and paid me to permanently install one on that bridge.
The musician bought a Sony ECM55B for me to use on the bridge. I used a lav mic from one of my shure wireless to record with. I notice there is a lot of choices now with lav mics, So this solution could be done at a lower price.
Thanks! I have a Sony Lavalier mic!
~Bob

Back