Recording a live band - advice needed

Chalkdust

i want to record some demos for a four-piece band comprising drums, bass, keys and guitar Using a Scarlett 18i8 interface to a MacBook Pro. What is the simplest way to limit the incoming sound particularly from drums to protect the recording Without having to resort to bringing masses of equipment?

i want to record some demos for a four-piece band comprising drums, bass, keys and guitar Using a Scarlett 18i8 interface to a MacBook Pro. What is the simplest way to limit the incoming sound particularly from drums to protect the recording Without having to resort to bringing masses of equipment?

What do you mean by the part in red? Do you mean something other than turning the gain down so it doesn't clip? If so, most people just turn the gain down so it doesn't clip.

I think you have answered it... I was concerned that the snare hit would blow up my kit and I would have to use a limiter but I believe A low input setting will suffice. How many/few mics et away with to get a half decent demo... I am hoping one overhead and one capturing kick and snare from the front will do...?

I think you have answered it... I was concerned that the snare hit would blow up my kit

It would be highly unusual for that to happen - having the recording level go 'over' 0dB and clip, and actually damaging your equipment are normally different things.

I agree with LDS, minimum drum kit 4. Yes, you can do it with less, but with one overhead, you will not get any type of panning. Kick and snare for good mixing options (thump of kick, attack of snare). Bass and guitar(s) with dynamic mics on amplifiers, just leaves the vocals.

Just for information, there are 4 inputs on the Scarlett with pre-amps and 4 line inputs. Usually when recording a full band, you need many mics. Which require pre-amps. In your case you will need, 4x drums, 2-3 for bass and guitars and then at least 1 for vocals. 7 at a minimum, which leaves you three short. I have to assume you will either use outputs from the mixer or you have an ADAT to hook up to your system.

When I recorded a band, I used x7 for the drums, x1 bass, x2 guitar and x2 for vocals. That covered everything pretty nice, used x2 for room mics (kind of a reverb mixing).

Point here is, the Scarlett has 8, but only 4 are ready for use, the other 4 will need to get a pre-amped feed to it.

TBH, OP did say "demos". at which point a pair of condensers placed in front of a good live mix works...
If you're using a mixer with multiple sends (aux, efx, main, mon) you can make stereo mixes of the keys (assuming multiple), drums, and vocals (assuming there are backups) and use the remaining two inputs for bass and guitar. If there's only one keyboard, then that frees up a slot, and if there are no backing vocals as well, you could put up stereo room mikes...

TBH "demos" is a loaded word. I bet he wants something better than stereo cassette quality recording.

Yup. I probably should have put a :) after that comment, but that's why I went on a bit more serious after...

Yeah. I've generally found that you need to either just use a stereo pair out front where the audience would be (which gives you a pretty good idea how you actually sound) or go whole hog and mic everything. I've never had much luck with any "in between" options.

Regarding the drums, I have in past managed to get "okay-ish" recordings with just two overheads and a kick mic--but it took a lot of care in the positioning and aiming to make sure the snare came through okay. Much easier to mic the snare!

Yeah. I've generally found that you need to either just use a stereo pair out front where the audience would be (which gives you a pretty good idea how you actually sound) or go whole hog and mic everything. I've never had much luck with any "in between" options.

Having a board feed along with that stereo mic can be helpful. I find that if it sounds good in the room the stereo mic alone tends to sound a bit too reverberant. A little of the board feed can clarify the vocals etc. Outdoors is more forgiving.

Back