Record drums with my mics?

jonny deep

Disappointing Member
Hey everyone. So, I was on the train this morning thinking about my kit and how I'd like to try recording it. It's a five piece - kick, snare, two rack and one floor tom, hat, ride and two crash.

Would I be able to do so with my mics (listed below) and what would you use where?

Dynamic: -

SM57
AKG D5

SDC: -

Oktava MK-012-01 matched stereo pair
AKG C1000S

LDC: -

SE2200a
Rode NT1-A
AT4033a

Thanks!

Well you have some quality mics but i have a feeling people are going to ask about the room you record in .

I'll take the easy one, put the 57 on the snare top.

I'd try the Rode or the SE on the front of the kik and the 57 or D5 inside if there's a hole. I'd try the C-1000 on the snare or at least the rack tom. Also either the 57 or the D5 there. The Octavas overhead. Placement of the overheads would depend on your room and taste.

Thanks for your responses! I figured the Oktavas for OHs (and confirmed this with a re-read of Greg's guide). Wasn't really sure about the remaining mics. It's just a thought at the moment - I only have a two input interface - but was wondering how I'd go about it.

Oh, and I guess I'd record in my mixing room (as I do everything else). There is some treatment (4" RS45 bass traps in vertical corners, rear floor/wall corner, on rear wall; and 2" RS45 broadband absorbers at first reflection points). I'd have to find room to move the kit back in - it got relegated to make room for the treatment and allowing it to still double as a spare bedroom.

Can you get your hands on a little mixer?

I have a mixer (a Mackie 802-vlz3). I guess I could mix down to two channels, but I'd like to have all tracks ITB for separate processing. Anyway, it's all just a pipe dream at the moment.

You might surprise yourself using your mixer and then shooting into your interface. If the drums sound good, the drums sound good, ya know?! You can still do some processing on a drum buss. Dont give up just because you lack inputs!

Think I'd go the 3-mic route. Oktava's on OH and one of the LDC's about a foot in front of the kick drum and a bit higher than center.

I guess I could mix down to two channels, but I'd like to have all tracks ITB for separate processing.

One good thing about premixing to two channels is you won't sit there for a week after tweaking little things that no one will ever notice.

Back