Recommendations for weighted-action keyboard?

brassplyer

I'm looking into getting a weighted-action keyboard. Anyone have a recommendation? Wondering what the least expensive model is that isn't likely to have "cheaply made" issues a little while down the road - things break, stop working under normal non-abusive use. I don't have to have a lot of synth capabilities, I'm mostly interested in the piano aspect. An actual piano is a possibility but I like the easy transport, space savings and lower maintenance with a digital.

Anyone familiar with this particular model? Williams Allegro.

Williams Allegro 88-Key Digital Piano | Musician's Friend

Thanks

For consumer digitals -.my personal preference for action is yamaha, second roland, third casio privia line. I'm not concerned with sound quality as I trigger sample libraries. You owe it to yourself to find a place to try them out and choose which you like best. The Williams one you linked to is not a very nice piece at all IMO. Look for closeout deals. Costco and sams club will blow out last years model from time to time.

I have never been impressed with any Williams keyboard I've tried.

I suspect you may find the Casio Privia line will be less costly than Yamaha or Roland. In addition to the feel of the keyboard other considerations would be if you care about the on board sounds (in particular piano - which is what most people choose a weighted feel for) - I thnk Yamaha wins in the pinao sound catagory. You may also want to think about size and weight. Most people who look for a weighted board also want 88 keys. While most 88 keys may be about the same length - the deepness can vary (which could be a concern if you have a set space in a home studio. The weight can very significantly - which could be a consideration if you are planning to gig the board.

If you plan to trigger sounds and don't care about on board sounds - there are weighted controllers (as an example M-Audio) that may be less costly (since you are not paying for the sounds)

I just picked up a Korg SP-170S. Very pleased with the weighted key action for the money. Only has a few sounds but has midi out and that's really what I use it for. It does have a pretty good piano sound though. Full 88 keys. I picked mine up for $480 at a local music store.

Back