Recommend some mini-humbuckers

notCardio

I walk the line
Don't ask me what they're going in. I haven't decided. It'll probably either be a cheapie mahogany LP Special copy (heavy as hell, though!), a cheapie mahogany strat copy, or an LP studio (but I doubt it, cause it's got the best P90s of the bunch).

If you've tried multiple minis, how did they differ?

I don't have much experience with mini humbuckers, but I did just get an SG with mini-hums, and they are so cool! These things are new, so they're like Gibson mini-hum reissues or something. They have low/moderate output, similar to a P-90, and they bite and chime like a P-90 with a little more low-mid thickness and a lot less noise. Great little pickups IMO. They don't drive my amps very hard though, so they're not good for very hard rock or high gain sounds without help from a clean boost or overdrive pedal. But for classic non-metal humbucker sounds, they do really well.

I don't think mini-humbuckers fit a traditional humbucker body route though. Check on that. I could be wrong. With the mounting rings, mini-hums are about the same size as a P-90, which won't fit a normal humbucker hole.

Yeah, minis with the mounting ring fit the same form factor as a P90. Direct replacement. The guitars I was mentioning putting them in already have P90s. I have some experience with the original 70s Gibsons, but I don't know anything about the modern ones, or any of the other companies' (SD, DiMarzio, Bare Knuckle, etc.) stuff and how they compare to each other. I remember liking the bite of minis, but it seems like they didnt have the 'fullness' of full-size hums, kinda mid-range heavy.

Back