Reaper for a newbie

BriamJH

I wish to highlight the whole track. However, after I punch-in and try to highlight the total track, only the punched-in part or the rest of the track highlights. How do I highlight the WHOLE track after punch-in. Many thanks, Brian

After punching in and selecting which takes you want, you then move the cursor to the left and click an empty area in the track's control panel. That selects (highlights) the whole track.

I have a rather strange question. For my first effort at recording I recorded a guide vocal and guide acoustic guitar track. The guitar was plugged directly into the audio interface. I also had the click track ON for both. On playback everything is fine. I then recorded my first bass guitar track - again with the bass plugged directly into the interface. I also had the click track ON. When I listened back to the bass track, it has also recorded the click track. How on earth did that happen. The recording technique for the acoustic and bass guitars were identical. Confused ??? |Brian

Was the bass plugged in using the same cable as the guitar. . plugged into the same input. . did you just swap the bass for the guitar without changing anything else - like unplugging the cable from the guitar and plugging it into the bass without touching or changing anything other than that?

Might also take a look at the Metronome settings. Right-click the Metronome up top and see if 'Run metronome during playback' is checked.

It is as you stated. I unplugged the cable from the acoustic guitar and plugged it into the bass. Nothing else was changed. The metronome was OFF during playback. Also, in the audio signal I can see the waveform (blips) which correspond to the click beats. Very strange !! Brian

If you also had selected 'Run metronome during recording', the metronome will be recorded and be heard on playback. I think the thing to do if you want the metronome during recording but don't want it recorded with your bass (as the same item on the same track), is to add a separate track just for the metronome - it will record on it's own track, leaving the bass alone.

Add new track just for the metronome
Insert click source (from top menu INSERT)
Enable metronome (Leave both 'Run metronome . . . ' unchecked unless you want to hear it during those processes)

The metronome item may be just a short section when added, but you can lengthen that to song length by dragging the tail end to whatever length is needed. Just put the mouse cursor in the track screen right under the beginning of the track and scroll the mouse to shrink everything. Then drag the end of the click track to the end of the song - zip zap. Then scroll out again to full size. May need to hit rewind to get you back to the start - scrolling really messes up where you're at, location-wise.

If you can see the blips that means you've recorded the metronome on it's own track already. If you don't want to hear it on playback you can mute that track. If you still hear it, it's probably also recorded with the bass (somehow) and the bass will need to be retracked following the procedure I have outlined earlier in this post.

Last edited:
Very many thanks. I had assumed that the metronome would not record. I will proceed as you say. You have been a great help. Brian

I would verify that. I don't think the metronome records just because you chose "Run metronome during recording". I might be wrong, but that wouldn't make sense to me.

This may seem obvious, but are you sure you remembered to turn the metronome off after recording? You might be hearing it simply because you have it running while playing back what you just recorded.

Last edited:
If I don't set up a separate track for the metronome click and select 'Run metronome during recording', the metronome will record with whatever instrument I'm recording - both will print on the same track(s).

If I don't set up a separate track for the metronome click and select 'Run metronome during recording', the metronome will record with whatever instrument I'm recording - both will print on the same track(s).
Hmmm....I'm not at my computer right now. I'll have to check it when I get home. Not disagreeing with you (yet :D) , but I've recorded with the metronome many times and never had it record. That's why I find that strange.

Last edited:
Ok, just as I thought. Just got home and tried it.

I have "Run metronome during recording" and it definitely does not record on the same track or any other track. It wouldn't make sense if it did. Why would anyone want to record their metronome on the same track as their instrument.

Like I said, it's probably just a case of forgetting to turn off the metronome after recording a track and then thinking it got recorded.

I agree that the metronome should definitely not record. However, it was on the actual bass track. I could see the actual waveform. My solution was simple: I deleted the track and recorded it again ! Many thanks for your comments. These are very much appreciated. Brian

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I can't get my metronome to record if I tried. Something weird must have been going on with your recording set up at the time.

So, in your case, how did you get it to not record? You simply recorded again without changing anything and it was ok? That's weird, too. Things don't usually just fix themselves like that.

Sorry guys. Not trying to be argumentative, but none of this makes sense. You certainly don't have to record a click source on its own track just to be able to record a track without recording the metronome. That would be ridiculous. I, and millions of others, use the metronome to record all the time, and it does not record onto a track. Like I said, I don't even know how to record the metronome onto the same track of my instrument if I wanted to, which nobody ever would.

I'm aware of "Insert>Click source", but that's a whole other, dedicated process.

Turn metronome on, hit record, turn metronome off, listen. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:
Since in your original recording you recorded BOTH vocal (with mic) and guitar before, is it possible the mic was still plugged in and recording the metronome sound coming out of the monitors?

I certainly agree that it does not make sense. When I re-recorded I did not switch the metronome ON. There is no doubt that the bass waveform included the metronome blips. I have one possible (??) explanation. I had a little trouble getting the socket on the bass guitar to work. Perhaps it picked up the metronome audio in a freak situation. I have had no other problems with the metronome, so I am assuming I had a freak occurrence. Also, when I used the same guitar cable with the acoustic guitar, there was no problem (nor with the mic, with a different cable, on the other input port). I switched OFF the metronome for playback in each case. Let's leave this as an unexplained freak "accident". Many thanks again for your interest and input to Random Dude and Mike. Brian

Back