Reaper Effects question.

kip4

I’d like to know if it’s possible to highlight a track (fx bus) and it stays highlighted no matter what else I click on pls.
if I mute or solo another track I have to go back and rehighlight the track before continuing to use the controller controlled plug ins?
it means reopening the fx windows too.
TY in Advance

I think the fact that you're clicking on stuff is always going to un-highlight it. You should be able to "Pin" the FX Window though, I'd think. Not sure what you're using when you say "controller controlled plug ins" though. Do you mean like those TC Electronic Hardware Units?

Controllers is a usb midi devices. Like mpd218.
im using the controllers knobs to change plug ins fx parameters on the fly.
maybe there’s a different way of doing it. Like under what circumstances the fx parameters can be used like this.
by default I usually set the fx to “works while highlighted” Not sure how the other options function. Ie “works when focused”
something like that…..lol
Thanks for the reply

After watching Kenny's VIDEO, using "Enable only when effect configuration is focused" might move you in the right direction if you also pin the FX window open, so it's in focus. I dunno, haven't tried that.

It looks as if what you're experiencing is a sort of check against a single controller altering parameters of two separate FX chains on two separate tracks simultaneously.

Try pinning the FX window open on the one track and see how far that gets you. Baby steps. . .

In another video, Kenny does not select either of the "Enable only"s or "Soft takeover" or "Arm envelope" options. Maybe that's the ticket ! He mentions that even with the FX plugin window not open, the controller still controls the FX on that track.

Last edited:
Do you really need that automatic switching? Are you actually trying to use the same exact controls for different parameters just randomly, or are there specific unique fx you want to adjust from anywhere? It doesn’t super have to be either/or, but with just one controller, it can be a bit weird to try to do both at the same time.

I personally only use the control path for sort of global things, like controlling mixer faders. For plugins on individual tracks, I prefer to use track midi.

That controller is NOT enabled for control, just for input. I have a dedicated track taking input from it, armed and monitoring, but with parent send off and usually record:none. I then send that track to whichever track I need to control, and use MIDI Link (NOT Learn) to hook up the things to the things. If I end up wanting to use that controller on another track, I mute or delete the send and make a new one. The midi links remain, though, so if I want to go back to controlling the first track, I can just mute the second send, I mute the first, and go.

It’s for my dubbing set up. Thanks Ashcat.
I should have know there would be a way in Reaper. It’s by far the most options of any daw I’ve used.
Still learning as it’s a little different to what I used to use.
Should have know not ticking the box in the learn drop down would work, just never occurred there was an option to do so.
Gulp……..

Back