Reaper audio cutting out issue..

presto5

Reaper is occasionally cutting out Audio when I open Addictive drums...Or sometimes just when playing like half way through the track..just downloaded the driver for my Audiobox Presonus ...was using ASIO4ALL which I think was working better. WIN7 i7 quad core 64 is my what I`m running it with but I`m using Reaper 32bit...thats okay right? Also using 64 version of the driver...Thanks

Does the audio cut out and stay cut out, or just 'blip'? Try opening the performance meter (View -> Performance Meter) and see if anything's peaking your processor usage. Honestly, with that monster processor, I'd bet your thought on the drivers being the issue is likely correct, but you never know. Does your computer have a built-in sound card? If you use that for output, do you get any more cut-outs?

Hey presto, why are you using 32bit reaper when everything else that you're running is 64bit?

I am having the exact same problem. Not when recording, but during playback. Have seen it on multiple computers, with different drivers. Playback just "stops" -- like it gets stuck for about a second or two, and then continues. Makes it impossible to continue with the SW. Being a computer guy, it really looks like it is loading up the disk read buffer and not returning to the disk until it runs out completely. CPU usage is nil and disk usage is also nil -- until the skip in the audio and then a small activity.

Has happened on both 32 bit and 64 bit Win computers... both WinXP and Win7. Good thing I did not pay for the SW yet, and now looking into Sonar and Cubase. Ableton for me is like writing left handed -- one can do it, but totally different than the others.

If anyone has an idea -- please let me know.

Tks.

EDIT... this is when there are 4-5 tracks in playback... plain audio, no other processing (never could get that far, due to problems)

Fixed the issue...

I finally figured out the issue -- it was Windows' disk caching. If you turn this off, the audio dropouts go away -- or at least they did for me.

That was a pain to track down, let me tell you.....

Hmmm, I'm using a MacBook Pro, 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo,8GB DDR3 with a Presonus Firepod on a drum kit. I too get sound problems, crackling/cutouts but always about 45min. into using Reaper. I thought my Firepod was going bad or I had a bad mic or cable, but there are no audio problems when I close Reaper and just monitor without it. I also thought it might be some Plug Ins I'm using within Reaper but turning those off makes no difference. This noise only occurs when playing.

Why would Reaper work perfectly but then produce this problem at about the same time into using it, every time?

I'm not a computer expert or interface expert, so excuse the poor terminology...but sometimes I think stuff can get built up in the RAM and over time more stuff builds up, so after about 45 minutes you may be maxing out your performance. If it's during recording, I'd set the latency low on the interface and disable ALL plugins to keep the track as clean as possible. If it's during mixing, I'd boost the latency.

Another thing I do that helps is restart the computer before and after recording. Before to have a clean slate, and after to get all the built up crap out of my RAM.

For your case where the problem seems to be somewhere in Reaper, how are you connecting your drums and how are you setting them up in Reaper?

Hi Aaron, thanks. I'm using 6 mic's. Four of them for my 4pc kit. one Overehead and one over the Hi-hat. All are run through the Firepod and then to the MacBook via Firewire. Reaper 64bit is set very basically, 6 Tracks with one or two Plug-ins on four of the Tracks.

Because I have allot of faith in Reaper as a DAW, I'm suspecting it's one one of the Plug-ins that I'm using but still in Demo Mode, even though when I turn them all off it continues, maybe in the background or something but I don't know if that's possible? I've downloaded and used many, many Plug-ins, some I've erased but many just sitting on my hard drive.

I think I'm going to clear out my bloated Plug-ins Folder and see what happens.

I finally figured out the issue -- it was Windows' disk caching. If you turn this off, the audio dropouts go away -- or at least they did for me.

Where do you find disk caching settings? I have a lock-up happening all the time (any software running), which I know is a fault of the computer, as there was a fix which worked for a while (years ago) before it started happening again. Used to be for 30 seconds, now it's like 90 seconds. Happens randomly.

Just as a followup, the problem was a Plug-in still in Demo mode (cheap bastard :)). It kicks in audio cutouts right at 45min. until purchased.

Where do you find disk caching settings? I have a lock-up happening all the time (any software running), which I know is a fault of the computer, as there was a fix which worked for a while (years ago) before it started happening again. Used to be for 30 seconds, now it's like 90 seconds. Happens randomly.

Depends on which version of Windows you are using. In Win7, ControlPanel --> Device Manager --> Right click on the disk drive and look on the Policies tab.

Now -- having said that.... Mine started doing it again. I honestly think it is related to me having the Focusrite Control app (for my Focusrite Saphire Pro 40) running at the same time. The computer is BARELY using any processing power and BARELY accessing the disk drive too -- so there is some sort of a resource conflict going on somewhere internally. Since you are also using a Firewire device at the same time like me, that could be the issue.

I am still digging into this a little bit, but it is odd that it is happening in playback and not during recording.

Interesting. As I was reading this thread, all I could think of was this......

If you guys are blaming Reaper for these blips and dropouts, then you don't understand Windows. I can promise you, guarantee you this is a Windows configuration problem, NOT a Reaper rpoblem.

It's nice having a crotch rocket processor, but is your memory as fast as your processor? If you have audio problems - with any recording software, not just Reaper - on a military weapons grade machine like that, it is definitely a configuration issue, not a software issue.

What other software is installed on these machines? Microsoft Office? Is your machine dedicated to doing multi track recording and nothing else? If not, then you can expect problems.

One thing I know is Windows has a nasty default habit of wanting to index everything on the disk several times a day. When you are typing emails or Word docs or putting numbers in a spreadsheeet you might never notice, and Microsoft doesn't care how busy Windows is in the background because 90% of the machines running Windows are running in some kind of office where nobody notices those types of glitches. If all you are doing is audio then you can turn off indexing.

Google for the sites that tell how to optimize Windows for recording. Another thing to look at is PCI latency. There is a few freeware tools out there that can help with that. Resetting that param is what fixed my clicking and blipping. (on Win 7 32 bit)

I also had a problem where I would get a 2 or 3 second really soft buzzing sound in the headphones about every 3 or 4 minutes, and it would get recorded on anything that was coming in thru a microphone or a 1/4 inch cable. Turned out it was because I had the little antenna for the computer's wireless device sitting on top of my EMU breakout box, and the wireless would try to synch itself to the router every 3 or 4 minutes. Whoda thunk it.....?

I turned off Vista's caching - big mistake! Computer was locking up constantly, but for short periods of time. With it on, it will lock up periodically (but less often) for 45-90 seconds. Nothing to do with Reaper, its a Compaq that that they sent a patch for, but it only worked for a couple of months.

Just as a followup, the problem was a Plug-in still in Demo mode (cheap bastard :)). It kicks in audio cutouts right at 45min. until purchased.

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to pop in for others like me having issues with this problem.

I was having the same problem as BxD, but I can confirm this was essentially my solution. Except it was a plugin I have paid for and have an active license, but for whatever reason it will occasionally "forget" the license or fail to check. In my case it was the BSAClipper plugin, and all I had to do was go in to the plugin and sign back in. Took it a minute to properly update and I double checked the other instances where I used it. But now everything is working perfectly again.

Sometimes it is just something simple like that. Everything else was giving me all these solutions that were not relevant or did not work for my case.

Back