Reaper 4 Is Out

Yep. Looks like it. Reaper 1 and 2 used a license key system, and Reaper 3 switched to files. Hence why I couldn't find the file.

I'll probably audition 4 for a while before I shell out for the (albeit, eminently reasonably-priced) license. I'm just paranoid that something in my klugey chain of game controllers and bad plugins will break with the new version. (Also, it's getting to be more and more work to make the latest version look like 2 did! :D )

Mine looks the same as always. Default theme. So far, the only difference I've noticed with regular use is the render menu looks different and the "tool" icons don't shrink down like they used to. The track names aren't embedded in the waveform anymore. Other than that, same ol same ol.

The very first time I downloaded reaper, it looked very "Windows 3.x" with most of the colors being plain, grey boxes. I got used to that, and now the default theme is this dark green thing with rounded corners all over the place. The green one is prettier, but I kind of preferred the other one as being simpler and clearer.

Someone should explain the bizarre statement that Cockos needs express permission from Tascam to write a goddamned US-428 driver one of these fucking years.

I use reaper at about 1% of it's capability, so I should only have to pay $.50.

haha. Yeah I basically use the record buttons and the faders, and once in a while ReaComp and ReaEQ.

I did notice the new ReaEQ has a visual EQ on it. It kinda messes me up because I pay more attention to how things look than how they sound. So far that's the only Reaper 4 improvement I've noticed.

haha. Yeah I basically use the record buttons and the faders, and once in a while ReaComp and ReaEQ.

I did notice the new ReaEQ has a visual EQ on it. It kinda messes me up because I pay more attention to how things look than how they sound. So far that's the only Reaper 4 improvement I've noticed.

Yeah I noticed that too and I don't understand what it's doing. I also noticed a bunch more presets, but maybe they've always been there. I'm not a preset guy.

Yeah I noticed that too and I don't understand what it's doing. I also noticed a bunch more presets, but maybe they've always been there. I'm not a preset guy.

The visual thing always shows that I have almost nothing above 4khz, but I usually end up doing the most tweaking to the high end...I'm not sure what the deal is, if there was some way to disable this I'd do it...maybe there is, I haven't looked at all.

I've also heard about the FX bay/Comp bay? I'm not sure how it works, but it might be nice for comped vocals and comped guitar solos, and managing different takes. Hey, maybe this will take me up to 2% of Reaper's capabilities.

Someone should explain the bizarre statement that Cockos needs express permission from Tascam to write a goddamned US-428 driver one of these fucking years.

God damn forum dropped my reply

Short version: It would be illegal

Medium version: reverse engineering it without the SDK would take forever

Long version: Mackie wouldnt give the SDK for the MCU, so Justin had to intercept all the messages to and from and that took forever. Justin also offered to fix the UAD-1 drivers for them and was turned down. Getting that POS to work in any half decent way took a LOT of development time that could have been far better spent elsewhere

That's not the explanation I got. Justin seemed willing to do the US-428 driver for a time. The reason he gave for not doing so was that none of the developers owned a 428, so they wouldn't be able to test what they were writing. Several users offered to loan their own 428s to Cockos. Nothing more was heard from Cockos in that thread.

When I tried to d/l the new user manual nothing happened, so I opened it from the other link on the site, but I don't have 'permission' to save it to the document folder of Reaper4! What's up with that? I like being able to open it up from within Reaper, but that only works if it's stored in the proper folder.

Found out - drag it to the general Reaper folder and the software then recognizes it there. :)

Last edited:
I agree with Rami. I was upset to find that they took away right-click. Why would they do that? Also, Reaper 4 has been muting my tracks often; which it never did before. Sometimes its because they're too loud, and other times I have no idea why. I've rendered mixes to find that 1 or more tracks has just disappeared. I have to remove the plug-ins and reapply them to get audio back. Not having a fun time adjusting to the new look and the changes of Reaper 4, but I love Reaper and I'm sure it will be worth it.

I like the new look, but has anybody else noticed that you have to bus two tracks together before you can get the polarity buttons for them. Do I have something set up wrong? I liked the polarity button on the track itself.

Nah I haven't noticed that about the polarity.

I decided to get with the times and use the new default theme. It's actually pretty nice. Looks clean and it's really functional. Give it a month and I'll probably like it better than v3 default.

I also haven't noticed tracks muting at all. Weird.

Nah I haven't noticed that about the polarity.

I decided to get with the times and use the new default theme. It's actually pretty nice. Looks clean and it's really functional. Give it a month and I'll probably like it better than v3 default.

I also haven't noticed tracks muting at all. Weird.

Very cool, generally prefer this to cubase - I like the speedy routing options and superb VST and audio format compatability. Reaper being so lightweight helps alot too.

This version is definitely more visually pleasing, very cool :)

I had an odd problem using Reaper 4 last night.

In Reaper 3, I could drag the bar down below to horizontally expand the tracks. Then, I could scroll the cursor line over a specific spot and split at the precise location I desired.

Reaper 4 would not allow me to do that. :(

I had an odd problem using Reaper 4 last night.

In Reaper 3, I could drag the bar down below to horizontally expand the tracks. Then, I could scroll the cursor line over a specific spot and split at the precise location I desired.

Reaper 4 would not allow me to do that. :(

Do you have the item or track that you are splitting selected?

Back