Realistic Drum Programming, Lesson 1: BEATS

Vhyle

A poster in a previous thread asked me you can create more realistic programmed drums. Ever since the release of my album, I've gotten a lot of very positive reception on how realistic the programmed drums sounded. So, here I am! I'm gonna show you many of the tips and tricks I use to create more realistic programmed drum tracks.

Quick background - I'm a drummer and a guitarist. I've been playing drums for 15 years, and guitar for about 11. I would have loved to just record drums for the album, but with my living situation, it couldn't be done, so I went the programmed route. So I learned how to program drums, and then I learned how detailed and in depth I can get with the drumming. It's a lot of tedious work, but the work definitely pays off, and you will end up with much more detailed, ear-pleasing drum tracks.

So, here we go! I'll post these in lessons, since this first lesson alone is pretty pic and mp3 heavy. This first lesson is fine-tuning a simple 4/4 drum beat. This is just a small fraction of what I can show you guys what to do.

For these lessons, I'm utilizing EZDrummer with the standard rock/pop kit, and Reaper 4.0. These principles can be applied to all of the EZDrummer expansions as well.

This is a drum beat in 4/4 time, at 120bpm. About as standard as you can get. This drum beat is executed with 8th notes on the hi-hat. Here are two measures of the beat, posted as separate images.

For quick reference in the images: top line of blocks is the hi-hat; second line is the snare; third line is the kick; and fourth line is the crash cymbal (only one block in these examples)

1_simple_beat.jpg

2_simple_beat.jpg

Two important details can be learned in these two measures alone.

1) If you notice, there is no hi-hat beat where the crash is. This is a common, very overlooked mistake that a lot of solo guitarists make while they program drums. 9 times out of 10, the drummer won't play a crash and a hi-hat hit during a simple beat like this. They can, but it's extremely uncommon. So to have just the crash and kick programmed sounds more normal. It's a small but pretty important detail, in my opinion.

2) Each hi-hat hit is the exact same velocity; the same strength. You can easily change these parameters. For example, I reduced the strength of the off-beat hi-hat strokes to slightly varying, soft hits. This is very common execution from drummers.
Here's the same beat, with the modified hi-hat hits:
3_simple_beat_modified_1.jpg

(I only made an image of the first measure, since the exact same procedure is done for the second one)

To change the velocity (in Reaper, anyway; I can't speak for other DAWs), click and hold the top of that note block. You can drag it up to increase velocity, or down to decrease it. As you decrease it, it changes to varying shades of green, depending on what velocity you set it to. You can see the shades of green in the images. You will also notice the bars on the bottom of the screen are shorter - those also represent velocity. You can click and drag those as well, if you wish - you will get the same result.

That was a very simple, effective change, wasn't it?

Now, let's spice it a little bit. This time, I'll add a few more flavorful notes to the rhythm. It will add a bit of jazzy or funkyness. I'll also show you how to add ghost notes for the snare - a necessity for a funky, catchy drum beat.

4_simple_beat_modified_2.jpg

5_simple_beat_modified_3.jpg

Now, I made several small changes, hence them being circled and numbered. Here's what I did:

1. Added an extra 16th note after the first off-beat hi-hat stroke. Counted as "1 & 2e&". Notice that its velocity is also low. In fact, it probably should be reduced a touch more, to add a bit more realism. But, that's ultimately up to you, and what sounds good and realistic to you.

2. If you look at the bottom left side, you will see a fraction. This drop-down list gives you fractions of notes - 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, and so on. These represent quarter notes, eigth notes, sixteenth, etc. I'm sure a lot of you already know this, but I felt like reiterating that anyway. As you see, I changed it to display 32nd notes. If you zoom in a bit, you can edit 32nd notes within the measure. I added two 32nd-note ghost notes on the snare, at the end of the measure. This simulates a small 2-stroke roll on the snare.

3. This is the second measure. As you can see, it's back on 1/16 note duration. But, look next to that - I changed it to 'triplet'. So now, it's displaying 1/16 note triplets, instead of straight notes. Now, after doing that, I added three 1/16 triplet notes on the hi-hat off-beat stroke. Extra hi-hat funkyness. It also leads to...

4. ... the open hi-hat stroke. The top block at #4 is an open hi-hat. So, after the triplet, the hi-hat was opened for one note. And lastly, I added a 1/16-note snare it at the very end of the measure. Even slightly more funkiness.

These small details I displayed above are just some of the many, MANY things you can do to accentuate and spruce up your drum programming. Like I said before, I can show you LOTS of different changes. You can get a surprising amount of detail out of your drumming VTSi.

NOW, onto an even funkier beat. Check this out.

I programmed two measures of this alternative sticking pattern between the snare and hi-hat. This makes for a beat that's commonly found in jazz or technical music (the sticking pattern would be performed like this: R L R R L R L R L R L L R L R; to help you get into a drummer's perspective)

funky_beat_1.jpg

funky_beat_2.jpg

Sounds pretty sweet, huh? Again, notice the velocities. This would not sound nearly as realistic if they were all full-blast, same velocities. The main snare hit remains full volume, and the hi-hat note immediately following it. This helps to leave the overall rhythm and temp well defined.

The red arrow - these are rimshots on the snare. We haven't programmed rim shots yet in this lesson, until now. Rim shots are awesome, and very effective. I'm a huge fan of them, personally. These add the perfect accents to end this super-funky 2-measure beat. Also, you can see a very small grace note. That first rimshot is actually a flam.

Here's a closeup of the flam on those 3 rimshots:
funky_beat_3.jpg

Look at the bottom - I changed it to 1/64 notes. That grace note is actually a 1/64 note, on the standard snare line. Now, there is an actual sample of a flam snare hit in the vast sound banks of EZDrummer, but personally, I believe manually programming a flam stroke this way sounds more realistic, and it also varies with whatever tempo you're programming to.

That concludes this first lesson. It's a fairly quick lesson. This is just the tip of the iceberg to creating tasteful drumming with your drum programming software.

NEXT LESSON: more details and additions you can do to your standard drum beats, utilizing triplets and other odd-number accents.

Hope this makes sense to you guys! And I hope you got something out of it. Before I post another lesson, I'd love some feedback on this. Am I explaining stuff clearly? Does it make sense? Anything that would help would be appreciated! Thanks.

:guitar:

Just some thoughts:

- You can (in my opinion) accent a harder high hat hit by instead moving that hit over to a slightly more open hat sound (to simulate hats rocking slightly more when you hit them harder) than just increasing the velocity of that hit on that note. I've only picked this up from playing an e kit and noticing that it sounds better to accented hits on the edge (closed) of the hat verses the tip of the stick on the bow.

- Programming midi in reaper looks like a kunt.

- You program ghosts notes louder than I do.

Other than that, looks good to me.

Awesome... I'll have a look over the next day or so and see what I can do better. Already very aware of the "two arms" thing by not playing crashes and hit hats at the same time.. and doing a few ghosts notes here and there... looking forward to being schooled, and I appreciate the time you've put in so far!

Cheers

Thanks dudes! I'll put together the next lesson probably this weekend, if I have the time.

Is Reaper's MIDI editing that much different than the others? I picked up on it really quickly when I started using it, and it's all I know, so I'm curious.

I use Reaper and Addictive Drums and there's a MIDI map for the drums, so instead of the piano roll I have actual names like kick, snare L etc.... and for a numpty like me, that's a good thing..

Ok so I've just done the first lesson... now I vary stuff a lot anyway, but it's knowing what to vary and how that makes the difference, so I've already picked up that hard / soft / hard / soft hi hat thing... I've sort of done that, but not to the differences in volumes you have here, so I'll give that a go on something I'm working on and I'm hoping it'll lift it rhythmically...

It's all pretty clear to me so far. What would make it easier to follow is if you have a way of mapping the actual drum names to the lines - I'm attaching something I'm working on at the moment, so you can see how I have Reaper set up - I also have the velocities showing on each note which helps me get things straight in my head and is good for little subtle up and downs on the volume. You can see I'm doing stuff like grace notes on the ride and layering a bit of bell and shaft randomly for realism as well..

Anyway, I've definitely got some good stuff out of lesson 1, so I at least, am encouraging you to continue!

Cheers and thanks...

Capture.PNG

This could be very useful for you drum "programmers". Pay attention. The worst thing about fake drums is the robot factor, and it's way common in home recorded drum programming. And programming your beats to be realistic is important too. Drummers only have two arms and two legs, unless he's in def leppard. Write your beats in a way that it can be performed by a real drummer.

LOL @ Greg's comment. "Slot machine" is a new one on me, and that is some funny shit.

Everyone else - thanks guys. I'm glad to see you're getting some good info out of this lesson.

I'll start the second lesson within the next few days. Or maybe tonight, if I get all of my other crap done. Hang tight - I'll have it done soon!

Is it common for a musician to just record the drum machine parts direct in "takes" as opposed to programming them in?

the only time i ever used step or grid programming was on a machine in the 80s. before i switched to pads i would build up the parts in layers by tapping out on the keyboard. kick and snare first, then hats, then toms, cymbals. I was never ever ever happy. i never got a realistic tom roll or fill in my life. i was never good at it. I would kill to have the environment for a real kit, but i don't. I would seriously put in the time and learn. The next best thing for me is the little midi kit I have. rolls, fills, rides and crashes that aren't the greatest sound in the world but do not sound like a robot. even though im not nearly
good enough yet to pull off the stuff i want to do, i still have options like programming the kick and playing everything else.

this is very interesting, I play drums for many years. Compose midi and drums in thinking about it ever had with it I be able to improve my midi drums, thanxs!

Back