Raise a Glass

I like this tune.

I like the idea of the leads in between vocal lines...but the the lead sounds a little out of tune to my ears.

I also would add some effects to the lead to put in some space, it just sounds too dry and up front to me.

I like this tune.

I like the idea of the leads in between vocal lines...but the the lead sounds a little out of tune to my ears.

I also would add some effects to the lead to put in some space, it just sounds too dry and up front to me.
Thank you turtle. Will look at that

Nicely written. I "think" this would would be a contendor for dropping your low E string to a D. I would for sure re-record this one (which may be your intention anyway). Very Nice job on the vox. I think a short (minor) break at 2:22 would be nice and breaking it up a little. A cello would fit well.
I know a player who is in between projects and a little bored .. Enjoyed it .. mark

I really like this song! I wouldn't change a thing.
I sent it to my wife and she likes it also. She asked who the singer was, she though he sounded familiar.

Nicely written. I "think" this would would be a contendor for dropping your low E string to a D. I would for sure re-record this one (which may be your intention anyway). Very Nice job on the vox. I think a short (minor) break at 2:22 would be nice and breaking it up a little. A cello would fit well.
I know a player who is in between projects and a little bored .. Enjoyed it .. mark
Thank you Mark. We will definitely look at your suggestions. A cello was considered for this song and I think would fit well too.
Guy

I really like this song! I wouldn't change a thing.
I sent it to my wife and she likes it also. She asked who the singer was, she though he sounded familiar.
Thanks RD. The song lyrics were written and sung by Maurice Motut. This is also Maurice’s first venture into the role of producer as even though he has helped produce songs this one is his solely. He is going for a sound similar to Johnny Flynn, the detectorists theme song vibe.
Guy

Last edited:
This is really well done. Good song. Nice lyrics. I really like it.

My only critique - and I feel strongly about it because it's downright distracting - guitar tuning. Fix that and this is solid. :thumbs up:

I might also bring the little 3-note accompanying gtr part (electric I think?) - down just a hair (in level).

This is really well done. Good song. Nice lyrics. I really like it.

My only critique - and I feel strongly about it because it's downright distracting - guitar tuning. Fix that and this is solid. :thumbs up:

I might also bring the little 3-note accompanying gtr part (electric I think?) - down just a hair (in level).
Thanks PM. Yah I’m pretty sure he wants to retrack the finger style guitar part. Glad you like it.
Guy

Thanks RD. The song lyrics were written and sung by Maurice Motut. This is also Maurice’s first venture into the role of producer as even though he has helped produce songs this one is his solely. He is going for a sound similar to Jonny Flynn, the detectorists theme song vibe.
Guy
Thanks for posting the song Guy.

The part in the song "toast the people in the albums on your shelf", was very prophetic. Most of us have photo albums full of family members and friends that are gone. All had interesting stories to tell and we learn from them. They are the stories of life.

My wife has spent most of her retirement doing genealogical research on her family. We have spent numerous hours visiting courthouses, cemeteries and family members collecting documents, pictures and stories. It was almost as if the song was written about her. We both enjoyed it very much.
Ray

Thank you Ray that’s very nice of you to say. I suppose as budding recording artists the greatest compliment can be that someone listens to your work and has a connection of some kind to it, and as music listeners I think we are all searching for that special part of a song that resonates personally to us. To have succeeded with this is an achievement that everyone involved can be proud of.
Guy. 😁

Like the song. Like the vocal sound a lot. But I think the relentless busyness of the fingerpicking is exactly wrong for such a reflective song.

Both guitars sound a bit out of tune to me but besides that I like it. Cello would be cool but I was hearing a string section coming in softly after the first verse.

The mix sounds really nice, and the vocal is sitting well within the whole.

The only thing that stands out to me are the guitars. The rhythm guitars sound a bit over-compressed, IMO, and there's a tuning issue going on (as a few others have mentioned). It sounds as though maybe the doubled rhythm guitars are not quite in tune with each other?

The mix sounds really nice, and the vocal is sitting well within the whole.

The only thing that stands out to me are the guitars. The rhythm guitars sound a bit over-compressed, IMO, and there's a tuning issue going on (as a few others have mentioned). It sounds as though maybe the doubled rhythm guitars are not quite in tune with each other?
Thanks famous. Yah I’ve been working on those guitar tracks and think it’s a lot better now. Wasn’t gonna bother everyone with a repost but I think I will. I think I have a lot more open full sound with this approach.

Attachments

Back