Rack gear into mix

hobby10k

Have spent days moving stuff around, routing cables into my new vocal / iso booth I built, getting rack interface talking to the cubase DAW on the new studio tower built to dedicate only to recording.

Im also trying to get rack gear hooked into my new mixer I got.

This is the dilemma I'm trying to figure out.

I have 4 rack pieces I want to rout for vocals: EQ, compressor, anteres effect, and TC helicon.

I split one mic into 2 channels (#1 & #2)with a splitter (for own personal reasons)

I ran my EQ and compressor, 2 in, and 2 out (stereo) and hooked them into the insert jacks for each vocal channel 1 and 2.

Now the TC helicon and the anteres runs mono. I want to add both of these to channel 1 and 2 at the same time. I already have the insert jacks filled for each channel with the other rack gear. What insert would I use to apply these effects to each channel at the same time?

I know it's a stupid question but I'm just trying to learn stuff as I go.

You can chain multiple processors on one insert. Insert send to input of first device, output of first device patched to input of second device and so on, output of last device to insert return. A patch bay can make this more convenient.

Ideally, you'd be running the effects unit on an auxiliary output (which would also allow you to run as many sources to it as you want).

Yeah, I missed the part about using them on both. If the effects are meant to be patched in series then using an aux may not work. Maybe the OP will honor us with some useful info, like brand and model of mixer, model of processors.

Mixer: behringer eurorack ub2442fx-pro

Rack gear is:

Vocal effects: Tascam TA-1vp
Vocal effects: TC-helicon voice works
EQ: Soundtech Q150
Compressor: Dbx 266xl.

You could just run each of the effects from the mic channel effects sends and return each of them into separate channels of the mixer in mono or stereo. Then assign the return channels to which ever bus you want.

That helps. Here's my take based on my limited knowledge of those processors.

If you want to use the Tascam or TC to affect your vocal you need to put it in series, like on a channel insert, rather than in parallel like an aux send/receive loop. If you want to do this to both channels of your split vocal you'll need to run both channels to a bus, go from the bus out to the processor and then back to a channel. If your board had inserts on the buses it would save running the processor back to a channel but it doesn't. Either way the two channels will be combined at the output of the processor and you won't be able to use them separately.

You could go into the Tascam's mic pre, then to the TC then to the split, but maybe that doesn't suit your needs.

Eqs and compressor are pretty much always in series*, inserted or simply patched in between other devices.

(*Disregard parallel compression for now.)

You could just run each of the effects from the mic channel effects sends and return each of them into separate channels of the mixer in mono or stereo. Then assign the return channels to which ever bus you want.

Good point, but for things like eq, compression and pitch correction you'd want to leave the mic channels not assigned to any bus.

Have spent days moving stuff around, routing cables into my new vocal / iso booth I built, getting rack interface talking to the cubase DAW on the new studio tower built to dedicate only to recording.

Im also trying to get rack gear hooked into my new mixer I got.

This is the dilemma I'm trying to figure out.

I have 4 rack pieces I want to rout for vocals: EQ, compressor, anteres effect, and TC helicon.

I split one mic into 2 channels (#1 & #2)with a splitter (for own personal reasons)

I ran my EQ and compressor, 2 in, and 2 out (stereo) and hooked them into the insert jacks for each vocal channel 1 and 2.

Now the TC helicon and the anteres runs mono. I want to add both of these to channel 1 and 2 at the same time. I already have the insert jacks filled for each channel with the other rack gear. What insert would I use to apply these effects to each channel at the same time?

I know it's a stupid question but I'm just trying to learn stuff as I go.

?? Go buy a patchbay and switch 8 of the ports from half-normalled to fully normalled. Route your effects in and out of one another, and in and out of the channels. This is the proper tool to chain stuff to your inserts. Again, you can create a series chain or a parallel chain by patching a lot easier, and you can then unpatch it and reverse the chain on a different channel with great ease.

Buy the cheapest piece of junk you can find on eBay. Pay $40 and save yourself a lot of headache.

Going to look for a patch bay today. Thanks for the tip. I'm also trying to figure out the other suggestions too. Than you all for the help.

Make sure the one you get can run in all 3 modes. Normaled, half-normaled, and thru. If you're a small home studio, go with quarter inch. Make sure your patch cables are all TRS. Neutrik makes a good one. A switchcraft is probably overkill. Stay away from the Behringer and the DOD. Piss poor soldering and cheap connecter components.

Back