Question on routing from mixer to Alexis HD 24

jimmyjamesbluef

I have a nice soundcraft mixing board. I need to route my outputs from the mixer to my HD24, and then to a DAW. Here is my plan, please ell me if this works, and any limitations.

I plan to run each instrument through the board to get to line levels, and then send the output from each track to the HD 24 using the effects send. The effects return will get the output from the HD 24. That way, I will not have to repatch all the time.

Alternatively I could use the line out as the track output to the HD 24,,, but the I have to repatch to mix.
WILL THIS WORK?? I am worried about what line level comes out the effects send. I know that limits my use of effects loop for effects,, but I don't care, I have a ton of aux.

From the HD 24 to the DAW, I will se the lightpipes hooked up to a M audio Lightbridge. This should give me all 24 in/out to my DAW. Plus, I can record on the HD, and DAW at same time.

WILL THIS WORK???

Are there any limitations or am I missing anything???:D

The sends are fine for feeding the HD24 - the only real grief is patching. When I was using analogue kit for live sound, I built a neat little patchbay for my mixer that used the inserts on the channels to feed the HD24, and then added new in and out inserts on the rack I put it into - it worked rather well. If you have inserts available, then you could (assuming you don't want to use the inserts) just take a 3 circuit jack, link tip and ring, and then take the feed for the HD24 from this link - this lets you route any in to any HD24 track quite cheaply and simply.

I cannot see from the manual if the HD24 has 'auto switching' that routes the inputs to the corresponding output, as for instance the 'Source/Tape' switches on a tape machine?

If so you are cool. You would need TRS to 2xTS* cables from the Soundcraft mixer to and from the Alesis. When not in record mode the signal is routed back to the 'return' (usually ring) and the input 'send' is muted on replay. If this is not the case you would need to re-patch or make up a switching unit but that is a lot of switches and jacks!

The level out of the inserts is likely -2dBu but depends on the type of mixer. "Broadcast" and "recording" mixers run at different internal levels.

*TRS inserts are unbalanced and this could be a problem, it would be relatively simple to 'impedance' balance the mixer sends but you are stuck with the unbalanced returns. I would 'lash up' the system with a couple of cables to see if you get any earth loop issues before ordering up all that cable and plugs!

Dave.

I'm pretty sure the HD24 does route the inputs through to the outputs, or at least it can be made to do it. I just use mine for live recording so I don't need such features.

I have not had trouble sending unbalanced to the HD24. I used to have simple 1/4" splitters on all the inputs of my compressors that fed the recorder, similar to using a patch bay, and it was all unbalanced.

Back