Question: mono tracks into stereo bus

I am making samples from my acoustic drum kit. For the kick I’m using two mics. A WA-47 and a Beta52a. I am using Presonus Studio One.

When I create a mixdown of the two tracks into a single file, it renders onto a stereo track. Furthermore if I use a bus for compression this will also produce a stereo output. Do either of these move my center alignment of the mono tracks when converted to stereo output?

I’m just confused when it comes to routing center aligned mono tracks into a stereo track/bus/output. I know that stereo plugins could certainly move the center alignment but I’m not sure when it comes to stereo tracks/buses/outputs.

I hope that makes some sort of sense. Thanks in advanced.

When you mix them down to a single file, you should have the option of doing a mono mix down.

No, sending it to a stereo bus will not change the panning.

It doesn't matter or change anything that it is now dual mono. Every mono signal panned center is essentially dual mono by the time we listen to it on headphones or two speakers.

Well except that the Mono parts are now dual channel mono parts - I'm not sure about how much this might affect the overall mix - can you post the mix?

I’m actually just making kick drum samples from my acoustic drum kit. I’ve not used the samples in a track yet but I will use it in the song I’m currently working on. Just trying to get the samples as good as they can be.

One thing I notice is that when I use the dual pan tool and center each channel and then use the -6db pan law…the perceived volume is lower at the clipping point when centered vs. dual mono which has a higher perceived volume before clipping. Same thing happens when I split the dual mono into two mono tracks.

When you mix them down to a single file, you should have the option of doing a mono mix down.

No, sending it to a stereo bus will not change the panning.

Unfortunately in studio one this is not an option. You have to go into the file browser and split the stereo track after the mixdown of the two microphones has been created.

Typing about this is exhausting because studio one uses different functions for bounce, export mixdown, merge, mixdown selection. I catch myself wanting to use words like bounce, when it’s not technically correct for what I’m doing. I think studio one should clean up their bounce/mix function nomenclature and buttons. They are all over the place.

I’m actually just making kick drum samples from my acoustic drum kit. I’ve not used the samples in a track yet but I will use it in the song I’m currently working on. Just trying to get the samples as good as they can be.

One thing I notice is that when I use the dual pan tool and center each channel and then use the -6db pan law…the perceived volume is lower at the clipping point when centered vs. dual mono which has a higher perceived volume before clipping. Same thing happens when I split the dual mono into two mono tracks.
When you take a mono track and pan it center, you are sending equal amounts of signal to both sides. This would be equivalent to a stereo track with the same amount of signal on both sides.

If you take a stereo track with the same signal on both sides and pan both of those sides to the center, the two signals get added together and it will sound louder.

You can just stop that. A stereo track with the same signal at the same volume on both sides is mono. You don't need to pan the individual signals to the center because it isn't going to get any more mono. You are overthinking it.

I would import each side into a mono track and flip the phase on one to ensure it's dual mono. Seems like a PITA to me.

Just use Reaper and Render to a Mono File if Studio One can't do it. Seems crazy that you can't render a Mono File. The Stereo (Dual Mono) File will work just fine, it's just double the data and pointless.

Back