Question about SONAR Cakewalk

truepoet

I have SONAR LE, came with my mic. I just want to know, I uploaded an instrumental, and recorded vocals over it, but it seems like the instrumental is too loud and the vocals are too low. Is there any way to either increase/decrease the volume of just one of them?

I have SONAR LE, came with my mic. I just want to know, I uploaded an instrumental, and recorded vocals over it, but it seems like the instrumental is too loud and the vocals are too low. Is there any way to either increase/decrease the volume of just one of them?

You should seriously read the manual for Sonar. I'm sure it will discuss the use of faders.

Plus, this thread belongs in the Sonar forum. I will move it for you.

thanks,

All right, I'm sorry for asking that question, it was easy enough. Here's my problem now:

I uploaded an instrumental onto SONAR LE, which is Track 1. Then I recorded my vocals over it, which is Track 2. The problem is that the instrumental is much louder then my vocals, probably 'cause of my not so great mic. So, I decreased the volume of Track 1, and increased the volume of Track 2, and it sounded about right. But then when I combined them together, the two combined can only be one volume, not the original volumes I set it to. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Last edited:
But then when I combined them together, the two combined can only be one volume, not the original volumes I set it to.

Not sure I understand what you're asking. what do you mean by "can only be one volume"? Also, when you say "combined", do you mean mixed down to a 2 track audio file?

Not sure I understand what you're asking. what do you mean by "can only be one volume"? Also, when you say "combined", do you mean mixed down to a 2 track audio file?
So, I uploaded an instrumental. That is the Track 1 in SONAR. Then I recorded a Track 2, which is just the acapella, and the two of them play at the same time. The problem is that the instrumental is extremely loud, and the vocals are quiet, so I adjust the volume. I make my acapella louder, and the instrumental quieter, and it sounds about right. But to export the Cakewalk file into an mp3 file, I have to combine them together, into a 1-track audio file. Let's say that the instrumental is at a volume of 1, and the acapella is at a volume of 5. When I combine the acapella with the instrumental to make it a song, the volume can only be 1 or 5 for BOTH the instrumental/acapella. So the instrumental just blocks out the vocals, because it is too loud whether the volume is 1 or 5. I want to know a way to keep the acapella volume at 5 and instrumental volume at 1 even when I combine them into 1 track. I hope it makes sense, the manuals/tutorials don't help on this particular subject.

OK, you'll get the hang of it.

You need to render or bounce the tracks down to wav, then to mp3 (Sonar LE comes with a 30 day limit to bounce to mp3 so you can use that.

Mix the song the way you like. That means set the volume. tone etc the way you want it to sound. Then you go to file - export audio and set it to export your entire mix. The result will be 1 file mixed with the violume of both tracks set properly.

Look up export audio and it will give you the answers you need.

New Question

This may sound stupid, but how do you combine MIDI tracks and audio? I searched, and all I got was something about Cakewalk FX, but then I went up to my menu tools and clicked on it, and it has nothing on it. Could somebody help?

Not sure what you mean. A midi track plays an instrument (VSTi or sound module) to produce audio that appears on an audio track. Do you mean how do you record this audio?

Back