question about recording mixer speakers

gene12586

Hi all,

I have my acoustic-electric guitar plugged into my looper pedal, which then feeds into my mixer (high z setting enabled for acoustic-electric instruments), which feeds out to the mixer speakers. I recorded a loop, with one acoustic guitar track overdubbing another acoustic guitar track, and a third overdub of me drumming on the side of the acoustic guitar. Now I put the guitar down and keep the looper plugged into the mixer, and I play the loop. I want to record the sound coming out of the mixer speakers. My question is: is it best to use condenser microphones as I normally would to record acoustic guitars, or should I be using a dynamic mic since the sound is coming out of the mixer speakers? The microphones are feeding into my audio interface before going to the computer.

Thanks,

Gene

^^^ what he said. Use the line out of the mixer to go to line ins on the interface.

However, it's easy enough to try out both methods. You would hear a substantial difference.

As above and there is probably an RCA output that mimics the Line Out you can use and so not disturb the existing setup.
BTW, once the guitar has gone into the looper you don't need to use the high Z input. No harm just FYI.

My son has evolved a complex looper setup...Capacitor mic takes classical guitar to a mixer, mixer feeds looper, looper feeds an interface and records to a laptop via USB.
He also uses an SM57 with a 1:10 transformer into looper to record acoustic guitar. (Jam Man looper)

Dave.

Back