Question about mixing and panning multiple vocal tracks

NotThatBright

Hi. Can anyone provide insight about the conventional wisdom or a personal preference regarding the panning of multiple vocal tracks? Suppose you've got two vocal tracks (a lead and a background, so the lead is a little louder) where the words, cadence, etc. are exactly the same, except the voices are at different pitches so they form a harmony... where should they be panned in the mix in relation to each other? How far apart in the panning should they be? Are there any circumstances where two vocal tracks should be panned right on top of each other?

Even if there's only a very broad rule of thumb about this, i'd be interested to hear it. Thanks.

There's no rule of thumb...........and if there was one it would be.........do what sounds good to you. Every type of song / mix is different. You'll know if it doesn't sound right. One tip when working on harmonies..........(and most tracks)......mix it as best you can..........leave it alone for a while and go back to it later. If you're the harmony singer and the lead singer as well............your tendency could be to have the harmony a bit too high in the mix volume wise..........and have the tone of the harmony too similar to your own lead vocal. Play around with some EQ on the harmony to give it a different "character" tone wise from the lead vocal. Just my experience with that. But....as I mentioned........whatever sounds right to you is what it should be.

I was actually talking more about the panning of the two voices... Do you have an opinion as to whether they should they be right next to each other, far apart, or right in the same spot? Just from screwing around with my mixer I'm going to assume that no one would pan one out all the way to the left and one to the right, like rhythm guitars. I'm wondering if there's been a general consensus that there's some sort of "optimum panning distance" between two vocal tracks intended to harmonize.

For me, lead vocals stay in the center, always. If I'm adding harmonies, I'll add at least two and pan both out L/R. How far out is dependent on the song. But I will have an even number of BGV tracks and pan them symmetrically.

hth

For me, lead vocals stay in the center, always. If I'm adding harmonies, I'll add at least two and pan both out L/R. How far out is dependent on the song. But I will have an even number of BGV tracks and pan them symmetrically.

hth

This is what I usually do, but funnily enough, one of my favorite songs has the vocals nearly hard panned.

However, central is always good.

Yeah I usually do two tracks of backups and pan them L/R about 20%. If you only have one backup vocal then I would pan it center - maybe eq it so it is slightly different from the main vocal so it doesn't interfere with it so much. If you pan it L or R then I would pan it just a little bit so it doesn't sound weirdly panned.

Put the lead vocal in the center and the backing wherever it makes sense. For example, if the lead/backing combination alternate with some lead instrument that's panned, you could pan the backing the opposite way to give the mix some nice left-right movement.

If you only have one backing vocal, what I do sometimes is clone it, pan them left and right by some amount, then put a little bit of delay on one side (completely wet, so the whole signal is delayed). Several ms is plenty. Play around with it some.

If you only have one backing vocal, what I do sometimes is clone it, pan them left and right by some amount, then put a little bit of delay on one side (completely wet, so the whole signal is delayed). Several ms is plenty. Play around with it some.

I really don't recommend doing this. I never find it beefs up the recording at all. Why don't you record a separate backing vocal?

I really don't recommend doing this. I never find it beefs up the recording at all. Why don't you record a separate backing vocal?

I don't sing, so I don't record the backing vocals myself. I made my recommendation if he does not have an extra track or the ability to easily get one. That's all. When I have recorded tracks with backing vocals in the past, I do record more than one part and use them. But sometimes, you work with what you have.

Hi. Can anyone provide insight about the conventional wisdom or a personal preference regarding the panning of multiple vocal tracks? Suppose you've got two vocal tracks (a lead and a background, so the lead is a little louder) where the words, cadence, etc. are exactly the same, except the voices are at different pitches so they form a harmony... where should they be panned in the mix in relation to each other? How far apart in the panning should they be? Are there any circumstances where two vocal tracks should be panned right on top of each other?

Even if there's only a very broad rule of thumb about this, i'd be interested to hear it. Thanks.

Vocals are often such that they complement each other - the background vocal tones are to some degree separate from the lead vocal tones. This causes a vocal tone spread/harmony. But the sweetness characteristics between different vocals within the vocal section might vary either across the whole mix or at specific locations and that characteristics is something you might want to emphasize. If that is let's say a female voice in the chorus, then what you can do is to go from an R50 panning in verse 1 to an L85 panning in the chorus (or the other way around, plus attracts minus, minus attracts plus), in order to emphasize that sweetness.

The analyze phase of the mixing process is very critical in mixing. You need to listen to the original recording over and over and mark out characteristics of each sound source at certain locations. It's worth to know both the overall characteristics as well as temporary characteristics on certain locations in the song, of each sound source - both exciting, pleasant, non-exciting, non-pleasant characteristics. Vocal sweetness falls under pleasant characteristics. So do this work carefully to get a nice overview and default mix characteristics chart and make a plan accordingly, in order to make your mixes stand out. It is also worth pointing out that whatever you have in the recording is not what you are limited to, the limitation is limited. So the absence of markings on your mixing chart might be where you need to add/create certain characteristics.

Personally I always make all characteristics available on all sound sources everywhere, and use automation to add or remove these characteristics from the balanced ratio. This gives me the opportunity of not only marking the characteristics in the original, but also to mark them out from the characteristics I've created, by trying out certain characteristics in solo. This work is kind of a little tedious, but so so important. If you remove all the good stuff and don't add any good stuff either, you are kind of screwing it all up in mixing. In my case the effect of that is limited, because I will adjust the RECORDING/DRY - MIXING/MASTERING/WET ratio anyway, hence the impact is somewhat limited, but it also means I have not made the mix as great as it could be.

In other words, with vocals - just like with any other sound source - the panning depends on what characteristics you have and are able to create, both overall and at specific locations.

Overall - and this is probably one of the more valuable things you'll read on this forum - find out how the mix characteristics relate to each ear.

Last edited:
I made my recommendation if he does not have an extra track or the ability to easily get one. That's all. When I have recorded tracks with backing vocals in the past, I do record more than one part and use them. But sometimes, you work with what you have.

But you really don't want to do that. In most cases, you'll make the sound worse.

Back