Question about a particular compressor effect on the HX Stomp

gene12586

Hi all,

I'm having trouble posting this in the Line 6 forums; so posting it here for now to see if anyone can help..
I'm screwing around with the Red Squeeze compressor effect on my Line 6 HX Stomp XL. I'm a bit confused about the "sensitivity" control for this effect. According to the HX Stomp manual this effect is meant to model the MXR Dyna Comp. effect. So I looked at the manual for the MXR Dyna Comp. and it also has a sensitivity control, which the manual says controls the compression ratio... So then one would expect that turning up the sensitivity should raise the compression ratio, which in turn should lower the volume of the output given that we're compressing more of the signal. However, when on the HX Stomp I raise the sensitivity it actually seems to increase the volume if anything (the exact opposite of what I was expecting).... So what exactly is the sensitivity doing here?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

I prefer the deluxe and kinky comps for clean/dirty. The red squeeze is automatically increasing the ratio and sustain at the same time, not a very dynamic effect. If you're getting a MAJOR volume change, then you may be overdriving the effect.

Hope that helps :)

Wow, you really dig into details, which is cool.

You're dealing with a dynamic processor which is at the best of times, hard to hear great differences in settings, especially on an electric guitar (I assume?).

Plus it's modeled after a real hardware device, so I wouldn't expect that much accuracy.

I've never had much luck with compressors on electric guitars. The amps, speakers and distortion. if any, remove any dynamic possibilities that a compressor might of helped .

Clean guitar, twangy, funk stuff it can be useful - for sure. On a digital device like the Line6, I'd go by how it sounds, not by any visual readout.

Back