quantegy grandmaster gold 499 2" 24 trk

suprstar

It aint ez being green
I have 4 of these from a project my old band did about 6 years ago, we paid something like $150 each for them.. They were brand new when we got em, recorded on to once, and have been sitting in my basement ever since. They're in perfect condition, no splices, etc. They've been in a cool dark dry environment and have never gone thru so much as a 10º temperature swing.

Last week I just off-loaded the contents to digital format, that's the only time these tapes have ever been out of the boxes since we were finished in the studio. Now I'm considering selling these. Does anyone still use these, and are they worth anything? I'm not finding a whole lot online about these or any similar tapes....

They're good tapes and, yes, people still use 'em but the bad news is that you won't get anything close to what you paid for them. Maybe half at most. Try craigslist and sell it local as shipping will eat your profits.

If you do have to send them to a buyer send them via USPS Media Mail.

I may be interested someday if I convert my Ampex MM-1000 to 16-track, but not there at this point.

Price for 2" tape used is dismal. I see 2" 499 not selling for $25 BIN on eBay.

There are some 499 fans out there... it's a great tape on the right machine. If I were you I would list them on eBay for Buy-it-Now of $75.00 with a Best Offer option. I would be interested myself but I have no machines that are compatible with that width.

Describe them in the listing just as you did here. Low use tapes are getting more attractive as new Quantegy tape stock diminishes, especially 2” because its so damn expensive new.

I would list it in the “Musical Instruments > Pro Audio Equipment > Multi-Track Recorders” category and mention in the listing that it is similar to RMGI SM900 and Quantegy GP9. That way people searching for those tapes will see your listing.

Hope that helps
:)

I recently scored a metric crap-ton of brand new 499 and I am loving it. sounds like 456 with lower noise

Back