pros cons onyx vs toft atb. suggestions

steelpetals

The construction of my home project studio is now complete. It was done professionally and I'm ready to start buying equipment. I just bought a power mac 8 core processor computer and I'm gonna invest in the rack + digi003 and complete production tools kit. The last thing I plan to invest in is a decent mixer. I've been looking at the mackie 1640i onyx and I also have looked at the toft atb16. Couple of quesitions:
1. I've read positive reviews on both units and I need to know how much of a difference exists between these boards to account for the price difference. I'd sooner buy some decent outboard analog preamps along with the onyx with the extra money I'd use to buy the toft. I'm open either way.
2. Besides the toft and Mackie, are there any other mixers that folks have experience with and may be a better option. I'd like to really tweak the edge on a professional board so I'm not looking at too much below the mackie unit. Some may even feel the mackie unit is more or less semi-pro.
3. I'm not looking to bash either company, I'd just like some objective opinions other that that I've found on this forum and google search. Thanks

The toft is going to have mojo (better sound characteristics). I'm sure the eq will be miles better than the mackie. If I had the money It would be a no brainer to choose the Toft. The mackie would be great for what it is (price in mind). You could get great results. I use a old VLZ mackie at mix down but I use plug in eq and outboard compressors.

The Toft doesn't offer the digital Interface like the mackie. That is a big factor . If you all readay have a 16 channel inteface then the digital I/O doesn't matter.

I ended up going with the Toft. As far as the digital goes, I added a Lynx Aurora with optical out. Quite a bit more than I anticipated spending but the AD convertors are likely better than the mackie. Besides the Mackie is only compatible with Mbox and I'm using digi 003 and pro tools LE. Thanks for the input.

I'm kind of a noob so this might be a stupid question. How did you connect the toft to your 003? And how do you use all 16 channels?

Would be cool to know how you feel about this decision years later, @steelpetals. Care to update? I ask because I'm in the process of taking delivery on an ATB 16.

Back