professional recording mics I recommend

jahzrealbeatz

Out of all the microphones on sale, there are two brands that I trust to get quality sound, for usb microphones, I think the best affordable microphone you can get is any microphone from "blue."
As far as microphones that require phantom power and interfaces, I like the audio technica microphones, specifically the at4040, and neumann microphones are the best for getting a very crisp and professional sound.

Out of all the microphones on sale, there are two brands that I trust to get quality sound, for usb microphones, I think the best affordable microphone you can get is any microphone from "blue."
As far as microphones that require phantom power and interfaces, I like the audio technica microphones, specifically the at4040, and neumann microphones are the best for getting a very crisp and professional sound.

I did not know that. I've been doing this twenty years and finally someone tells me what I've been doing wrong.

I'm not looking for a usb mike, but just wondering, are any of them.. well, "good"? ( or 'pro or whatever

Oh - don't give the OP a hard time, he's obviously a newbie who has just discovered something and wants to share.

For the record - my top 5 brands are (alphabetically):- DPA, Microtech Gefell, Neumann, Schoeps and Sennheiser.

All equally as good as each other, but designs coming from slightly different directions, and most pro engineers will have a mixture of mics from several of these manufacturers in their kit.

Oh - don't give the OP a hard time, he's obviously a newbie who has just discovered something and wants to share.

For the record - my top 5 brands are (alphabetically):- DPA, Microtech Gefell, Neumann, Schoeps and Sennheiser.

All equally as good as each other, but designs coming from slightly different directions, and most pro engineers will have a mixture of mics from several of these manufacturers in their kit.

Now there's five brands to die for. At the top of their line, I think B.L.U.E joins that list. Unlike the rest, Sennheiser and B.L.U.E. also offer some budget mics, including some pretty good ones. Neumann has taken a tentative step into the mid-priced categoriy with TLM102.

In general, Neumann mics are very good. So are lots of other firms who have less brand name recognition. The DPA's and Schoeps mentioned above are generally too rich for my blood. I got to use a matched pair of Schoeps once on hammer dulcimer and they did *not* dissappoint. I almost owned a pair of ?CM-6's, but the retailer tried to play a bait-and-switch on me, and tried to jack up the price when the order was placed. In the end, I settled for a matched pair of Neumann KM184's, the only Neumanns I own (from another retailer). They've been good to me. Solid mics, no complaints. Those two, and the Kiwi are the only mics I own in the > $1000 range. Send those Brauners to me. I'll dispose of those antiques in an environmentally-friendly manner. I could really use a U67, but I also like being married. Good luck. Like women, mics can be an addiction.

Well, I have the Neumanns and Sennheisers covered. I'd LOVE a Gefell or two in the locker.

My recording mics are: a stereo pair of AT 4041s for SDC mics, my LDC mic is a Shure KSM 44, and I have a Royer R-122 for a ribbon mic. I have several of the standard dynamic mics. However, I'm jonesing really, really, badly for a Wunder CM 7 LDC (or CM 7 GT). But at $3500 for the GT and $7500 for the top of the line CM 7 it ain't happening soon.

Actually I'm getting superb recordings using the 4041s on my acoustic instruments (guitar and mandolin) and the KSM 44 and R-122 on vocals (haven't tried it the other way around yet). So, if I'm getting great sounding recordings already what's wrong with me?

The only reason right now I want the CM 7 is I know it's the very best money can buy. Don't actually know if it will make noticeably better recordings? Although I suspect it will. Dang, I want one though.

Tom

Personally, I hate the word professional being only attached to things that are mega expensive. Surely the term is more linked to people who have the right tool for the right job. A professional audio person may have a financial valueless, damaged and maybe modified microphone that they use all the time for it's performance - I see no problem with that. Somebody else can have expensive mics and use them poorly or inappropriately. They're not very professional. When we start out and have limited funds, in almost every case we use less than premium makes, and we were quite happy with the quality. Alan Parsons said a few years ago when he had an endorsement deal with Audio Technica, that people should have less closed minds when it comes to mic choice - but he never seems to push the mega makes, using quite modest mics sometimes when he knows they do the job. Considering his history, his live shows never go over the top on equipment choices. I rather like AKG 414s given choice, yet AKG's not mentioned in the makes in this topic, and my rather elderly 451s sound quite nice to me. I had for many years until I sold it for silly money, an elderly STC ribbon. I didn't miss it.

The Rode NT2a mic is excellent for the money, I actually did a mic test comparison and was surprised how close it comes to a Neumann TLM103 on voice, I own both mics. It was my first 'workhorse' mic and I still use it to this day. However when it comes to off axis respsonse the Neumann is great for that, it's also more consistently good on lots of instruments/sources and voices. Thesedays though I've been having serious mic GAS for the Neumann U89i or TLM193 as I prefer more neutral an unhyped high end, I think for classical music they'd be great, and I love the microtech geffel sound, DPA a great but uncomfortably expensive

Back