problems with my Shure Beta 52A

Berberman

I am very afraid of the answers i will get to this question since i just bought this brand new Beta 52A a few months ago only. I really don't want it to be ruined this fast.

Here's what's happening:
After having this mic working great, i plugged it in my firepod today and i got a wimpy recording signal. i tried to record but i only got a very very week sound, kind of like hitting a cardbox with all the trebles EQ'ed very high while having all the middle and bass all the way down.
I checked the XLR cables, the firepod's input channel and the settings on my sequencer. It's definatly coming from the mic not picking up any low frequencies anymore. I really mean none.

I remember droping it from my hand the last time i used it..could something have broken? can i open it up and check?

Thanks for your answers.

Okay....
So the mic was fine...you dropped it...now it doesn't work.
What's the problem exactly? Yes you broke it. Return it under warranty and don't mention dropping it.

My question is not why is it broken if i dropped it, my question was is there a way to open it up and what part should i check. Just looking for people with the same experience.
I am about 8000 miles from the nearest guitar center :cool:

My question is not why is it broken if i dropped it, my question was is there a way to open it up and what part should i check. Just looking for people with the same experience.
I am about 8000 miles from the nearest guitar center :cool:

If you open it up you'll void the warranty. So go ahead and open it up.

Noramlly, dropping this microphone won't cause damage to it. I am sure you did this, but did you check your firepod with otehr mics to be sure that the firepod itself isn't faulty? If you have, then you can contact the Shure service department to get it repaired or replaced. There is a two year warranty on all Shure microphones. The number is:

1.800.25.SHURE (74873)

Again, this microphone should be able to handle many drops. If it is the mic, this a a faulty product and should be returned so we can evaluate the situation.

I remember droping it from my hand the last time i used it..could something have broken? can i open it up and check?

My money's on a cold solder joint in the connector. That said, I'd call Shure. I'm told they're pretty good about taking care of stuff like this.

My money's on a cold solder joint in the connector.

Concurrence.

Dude, if you have the skills, loosen the connector, pull it out (gently!) and resolder it. The only tricky part is that when you turn the screw CCW to loosen it, it goes in to release the connector, not out.

Solution

I am very afraid of the answers i will get to this question since i just bought this brand new Beta 52A a few months ago only. I really don't want it to be ruined this fast.

Here's what's happening:
After having this mic working great, i plugged it in my firepod today and i got a wimpy recording signal. i tried to record but i only got a very very week sound, kind of like hitting a cardbox with all the trebles EQ'ed very high while having all the middle and bass all the way down.
I checked the XLR cables, the firepod's input channel and the settings on my sequencer. It's definatly coming from the mic not picking up any low frequencies anymore. I really mean none.

Thanks for your answers.

--

Well you have probably sent Phantom power to the mic for a significant amount of time. That's what happened to mine according to what you write.
SOLUTION :
1. Unscrew the grey wind screen.
2. Using a THIN flat screwdriver, CAREFULLY take out the whole cartridge - just pull it out with the screwdriver. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE TWO LITTLE CABLES RUNNING FROM CAPSULE TO A SCHEMATIC!!
3. Using the same screwdriver open the grey head of a capsule - it is sort of glued to a capsule. VERY CAREFULLY!!
4. There is a transparent plastic membrane which is probably stuck to a capsule itself - cause of overheating and sticking because of +48. TAP ON IT CAREFULLY AND BLOW ON IT.
5. While its all opened, connect XLR to your interface and check the mic once again.
Mine worked brand new after that...

Cheerz,
Alon.

Phantom power does absolutely nothing to a dynamic mic. Might damage a ribbon depending on design, doesn't effect dynamics. I would contact Shure directly, they may have some troubleshooting suggestions or there could be a warranty center closer than you think.

Back