Problem with tascam

arnau_izard

Hello, I tried to use my tascam dr-44WL as a microphone with my lexicon audio interface via jack cables plugged into the line in holes on the recorder, so I could use it at zoom meetings, but there's no sound showing in the audio settings on the computer. Am I doing something wrong or is it that it just simply doesn't work like this? Thanks in advance:)

It's not clear how you have connected things.

If the Tascam has line outs, you should be using those to connect to the line ins on the interface.

I couldn't tell from the manual if you have to arm the record to get the monitor outs to work but I wouldn't be surprised. Normally I'd say RTFM but it didn't help me make it clear, so not sure it would the OP.

Assuming the Lexicon interface has two 1/4" inputs, use this type of cable to connect the 'Headphones/Line Out' of the DR-44WL to the 1/4" Line inputs of the Lexicon (I'm making an assumption on what you have for an interface). This would give stereo audio from the two mics which may or may not be what you want, but may be the simplest way to get audio left and right for audio for the software you use for Zoom. You might be able to do mono audio from one mic, but you might end up with audio in only the left or right side which possibly in the software could be made to have audio on both left and right sides..

If the DR-44WL is similar to the DR-40X I have, you'll need to 'arm' the recording to get audio signal out to the Headphone/Line out jack.

Perhaps a better solution would be a decent budget dynamic microphone to plug into the Lexicon. Some older Lexicon interfaces do not have 48v phantom power, so a condenser mic might not be an option.

Hello, I tried to use my tascam dr-44WL as a microphone with my lexicon audio interface via jack cables plugged into the line in holes on the recorder, so I could use it at zoom meetings, but there's no sound showing in the audio settings on the computer. Am I doing something wrong or is it that it just simply doesn't work like this? Thanks in advance:)
Line-in jacks? No, you want line-out from the recorder.

Just yesterday I rigged my cheaper Tascam 22wl next to my daughter's laptop for a Skype with a celebrant. Being deaf, I don't hear laptop speakers at all well and I wanted to record the whole proceedings anyway. Tascam unit was on a chair with the lappy and I had on a pair of AKG K92s. Popped the REC button and as it flashed I get more than enough level in the cans. I of course just recorded with that unit. Note however if you send a headphone feed over to a balanced line input the 'mono on tip and ring' will sum to near zero level if you use a TRS-TRS cable. You need TRS to TS or go TRS to two times RCA.

Dave.

Back