Problem with MXL 2003a oktavamod

DarrenVocal

My microphone makes this sound after getting connected for a few hours, anyone knows a fix to this? My shure sm58 does just well and so does mxl v67g and other mics.

Anyone cares to explain to me this phenomenon?

IDK contaminated diaphragm or bad cap. In the circuitry would be any repair guys idea without having it right there in there hands.
Maybe a grounding issue. Is the body nice and tight? Have you opened it up to look for loose wires?

When was the last time you gave it a bath? :D

IDK contaminated diaphragm or bad cap. In the circuitry would be any repair guys idea without having it right there in there hands.
Maybe a grounding issue. Is the body nice and tight? Have you opened it up to look for loose wires?

When was the last time you gave it a bath? :D

I dunno, I would say about 3 years since it came out of the jungle? :D

I opened it up to look, everything fine, going to post a picture later on.

It actually sounds like the ADC has lost digital sync, or a bad mic cable. If All the mics you own does this (besides the one Mike modded) it is a sync or even phantom power related.

temporarily discontinue use. then see if the problem repeats without it.

Also some audio interfaces will have this issue if there is too many phantom powered devices connected. I recommend using separate phantom power supplies because sometimes the phantom power is too weak on long cable runs and interfaces and mixers sometimes do not supply the correct voltages.

It actually sounds like the ADC has lost digital sync, or a bad mic cable. If All the mics you own does this (besides the one Mike modded) it is a sync or even phantom power related.

temporarily discontinue use. then see if the problem repeats without it.

Also some audio interfaces will have this issue if there is too many phantom powered devices connected. I recommend using separate phantom power supplies because sometimes the phantom power is too weak on long cable runs and interfaces and mixers sometimes do not supply the correct voltages.

This is the only microphone so far that gives me the problem. I'm using an audio interface, the steinberg Ci1

I suspect the phantom is not correct operating voltage. USB Phantom power is good to about 30mA then is loads down the usb 5V and 30% of the condenser microphones out there do the same thing because the phantom voltage is under 36V.

but you can double check if it is the phantom power by plugging it into a mixing board or substituting the phantom on the CI1 with a phantom supply block.

if it was one channel, then the surface mount devices would need to be reflowed (soldier)

if you have a DMM or voltmeter, you could measure across pins 1&3 and 1&2 to see what the phantom voltage is. it might be that one of the power pins (2 or 3) is different or incorrect voltage and that it is below minimum voltage requirements.

I suspect the phantom is not correct operating voltage. USB Phantom power is good to about 30mA then is loads down the usb 5V and 30% of the condenser microphones out there do the same thing because the phantom voltage is under 36V.

but you can double check if it is the phantom power by plugging it into a mixing board or substituting the phantom on the CI1 with a phantom supply block.

if it was one channel, then the surface mount devices would need to be reflowed (soldier)

if you have a DMM or voltmeter, you could measure across pins 1&3 and 1&2 to see what the phantom voltage is. it might be that one of the power pins (2 or 3) is different or incorrect voltage and that it is below minimum voltage requirements.

But you see, in the past it has not given me any problems of such, with the same mic.

A cheap mic cord can do that. How are you connected to the computer? Are you going through a Computer Interface (External Sound card)? I would start with the mic cord if you have computer interface. A cheap mic cord will cause problems like that. Also if you are recording an amp and have to use an adapter I have an adapter that will give me the same crappy sound. I doubt it is the mic.

Hey really sorry to bump thread, I left it in the box with dehumidifiers and stuff for about like a week or so and I've given it a try again. Still the same thing, could it be because of the microphone cable? Just wondering. My microphone cable works well with the Shure SM58 , so I'm not really sure how it would make a difference with a condenser microphone with phantom power...

Well, I just found out that it works perfectly for my friend's setup, so I guess it has to be the mic cable or audio interface, just not sure which.

Back