Problem with mic shutting off after 5 minutes

Anticleon

Sorry guys I couldn't do anything new about the old USB mic I was telling you about, hence no clip. Instead I have a new issue.
After I failed with the mic I borrowed a Behringer B1 USB microphone with Lexicon preamp. My idea was to buy it if it works ok for me.
The problem is the preamp just turns off after about 5 minutes, or even less. The problem could be that the USB power is not enough for both the preamp and the microphone. But it is meant to be used that way, right? And even the few minutes I have power, the sound records only through the laptop mic.
But the green bars on the preamp goes up when I am speaking to the mic.
Does anyone know what the issue/s could be please? Could it be totally a hardware issue, or is there anything I should change?

The shutting down is not normal behaviour and may indicate you have a faulty unit or, perhaps, just faulty drivers. Have you been to the Lexcon site and downloaded the latest drivers for the model you have?

The recording via the laptop mic is because you have to go to the Windows Audio control screen, select recording devices, and make the Lexicon your default recording device. You may also have to tell whatever DAW you're using to use this...some pick it up automatically, some don't.

This should really be in its own thread because it is no longer about USB mics and more about troubleshooting a Windows problem. I created a new thread for it.

Yeah, guys it's an xlr mic with a USB preamp. :) :)

Here are some photos of what I have now.

16gn39z.jpg

kbopba.jpg

2drvt02.jpg

I downloaded the drivers from the Lexicon site. And I used Audacity since it's free.
I set the B1 as default mic. Didn't change anything in Audacity though.

---------- Update ----------

This should really be in its own thread because it is no longer about USB mics and more about troubleshooting a Windows problem. I created a new thread for it.

Thanks Chili :)

Try this:

Control Panel>Device Manager>Generic USB Hub

For each hub, open properties>Select Power Management Tab>Deselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

USB Sleep Disable.JPG

Thanks Chili and Mark
I changed that setting in Audacity. (Changed it to Lambda). Still the sound is very weak. I tried changing mic volume etc, but nothing. I tried with all 3 switch levels on the mic and still no proper sound.
It would be a great help if anyone could please tell me ALL the settings needed to get "some kind of loud sound" at least. I mean all the settings I have to change in Audacity, preamp, and mic in order to get some "audible sound." Then if that doesn't work I can just forget the whole thing.
All I have are, as I've said, the Lambda preamp shown here, Behringer B1 mic, a Core i5 4th gen laptop running Windows 8.1, and Audacity. If you would please tell me how to set this up, then I can try that, and if it doesn't work I won't trouble you again.

when you plug in the headphones to the Lexicon, does that sound ok, and the meters on it indicate levels being received? First thing is to make sure the mic is OK - so listening on the interface lets you check. The gain settings on the mic should make a difference.

You plug the mic in, make sure the pads on the mic are not switched in, apply the phantom power, and then turn the mic 1 level up. If it's too high the peak light comes on. The meters at the bottom should be indicating. In audacity, if you have the driver selected, then audacity should also be seeing the same meter flicking, if you route the signal to the channel and press the right buttons. I can't help on that one because I don't use audacity. Tell us how far along this route you can get!

when you plug in the headphones to the Lexicon, does that sound ok, and the meters on it indicate levels being received? First thing is to make sure the mic is OK - so listening on the interface lets you check. The gain settings on the mic should make a difference.

You plug the mic in, make sure the pads on the mic are not switched in, apply the phantom power, and then turn the mic 1 level up. If it's too high the peak light comes on. The meters at the bottom should be indicating. In audacity, if you have the driver selected, then audacity should also be seeing the same meter flicking, if you route the signal to the channel and press the right buttons. I can't help on that one because I don't use audacity. Tell us how far along this route you can get!

Thank you brother. Thank you very much. But I just decided to leave it and forget it. I tried every setting and failed.
Much grateful for the reply. :) :) :)

Back