Presonus studio live series III mixer

bfulghum

Does anyone use the series III mixers, I thought about getting one, but my question is can you record, mix, and master on it without using a computer. I've been using all in one studios, I really don't want to use a computer, just thinking of getting something new.
Thanks

They're really nice - especially if you do a lot of live sound so you hang your computer on the USB and away you go. As BSG says, you need to press record on something and the Presonus is heavily integrated into DAWs - it can control them and the two devices live side by side really. The DAW controls the mixer and the mixer controls the DAW. Everything nowadays works this way really.

In general terms, all-in-one solutions are ALWAYS compromises. The Presonus without a computer is quite a lot of wasted money. Lots of it's features simply won't be useful?

It says it records all tracks to SD card on mixer. It uses a program called capture. I was just wondering if anybody had one. I know you can record to mixer but didn't know if you could mix and master playing tracks back on the mixer itself.
Thanks for the replies

Good point, the latest generation of mixers are making recording performances easier. First it was USB to computer, then USB flash drives, now SD cards. I think they're also allowing playback, but mostly for "virtual soundcheck," where you can play back a previous show's recording at the next venue. I don't know if there's much in the way of punch-ins or other editing available. But things do change fast. I'm sure you could find more answers on the Presonus website.

Good point, the latest generation of mixers are making recording performances easier. First it was USB to computer, then USB flash drives, now SD cards. I think they're also allowing playback, but mostly for "virtual soundcheck," where you can play back a previous show's recording at the next venue. I don't know if there's much in the way of punch-ins or other editing available. But things do change fast. I'm sure you could find more answers on the Presonus website.
Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna try to find someone who has one to look at. I'm not dead against computers, I just like the simplicity and sometimes restraints of studios in a box. I came from 16 track reel to reel to Roland vs 2480, but it's not gonna last forever. Just looking for something new. Again thanks

You can record direct to USB stick on x-32/m-32 but I've only ever used it for rough mixes from live shows. Never thought of using it for 'real' recording. I think what I can do in the DAW is just impossible in the mixer - all the features I use every day are just not there?

Back