Presonus Firebox - Will it support MIDI

Blakeb

This is a newb question for you guys,

I plan to purchase a Firebox for recording vocals.

All of my other recording will come from:
1) Guitar played through the POD XT live
2) Yamaha cs1x synth as my MIDI controller

Thing is... I only have my crappy factory soundcard in my computer.

I have been using a Maudio MIDIsport (1in 1 out) USB connection for my keyboard recording.

If I continue to record through the MIDIsport and my factory soundcard... will the sound quality of my Keyboard parts be poor?

Is there a way to record my Keyboard through the Firebox?

I looked at the back of the Firebox and it contained a S PDIF input for MIDI - I have no clue what this means but, it doesnt look like the same cable I am currently using with the MIDIsport

Any suggestions, advice?

Thanks!

You use both.

Keep the midisport and use it. Sure, an audio card records audio. Plug audio outs from your keys into the presonus. Press record. :cool:

You will have no need for the crappy soundcard. Unless you play games or something just disable it.

I have a midisport 2x2 and an M-audio firewire solo. The M-audio is only audio. It works fine.

So...

I'm not quite following (1st class newb here)

So, the factory sound card has no bearing on the quality of my recording?

When you say "use both"...

Do you mean seperately or routed through the other?

Presonus firebox IS a soundcard! Thats your recording and playback card. Your Yamaha is your synth sounds unless you want to use the onboard soundcard ( no real reason to).

The midisport has nothing to do with sound, it records midi stuff like what notes you played. Take the outs of the Yamaha and stick em in the Presonus to record.

You shouldnt have to use your onboard soundcard again unless you play games. I dont know if the Yamaha has general midi or if you need it.

They couldn't fit both s/pdif & midi jacks on the back of the Firebox, so it comes with a breakout cable that contains both the s/pdif & midi connections on it.

As DavidK said, you can record the audio out of your keyboard by connecting to one of the firebox's audio inputs.

If you want to play a softsysnth or do 'midi stuff' with your keyboard, plug it into the midi in on the firebox's breakout cable

1) Guitar played through the POD XT live

hi. excuse me. how are you recording through pod xt?usb or line?
my question is whats up with the interface pre cause the xt live have a nice out.
not?
thanks.-

data passing through midi is not in audio format so audio quality will not be affected. only midi data passes throught the midi port like velocity after touch notation and so on.

Back