Preparing a mix for mastering

rpb123

I mixed and recorded live to 2 track tape. So I cannot adjust individual instrument tracks. But before I hand off my tracks to a mastering engineer, I want to make sure I have any edits in place which I need to do myself. For example, I have a song where I feel the bass could be louder on some parts. Should I EQ that part of the track myself or expect the mastering engineer to do it? What is expected of my finished mix?

Not to be coy..
"For example, I have a song where I feel the bass could be louder on some parts" 'Prep for mastering' preferably in a case like that.. would be a remix.
But, if not and it can be fixed with eq, then let it be done in mastering. If for no reason if you do it as a separate pass, you're adding an additional generation loss. (Not necessarily tape', or.. I guess it would be?.. But his/her's eq moves on top off yours

It's uploaed to digital, so I can do anything I need to it. I'm just wondering where his job begins and mine ends.

You should have it as close to "I'm really happy with this" as possible. For example (and if I'm reading this right) there are parts where you'd like more low end / bass. If you can automate that to the point where you're happy with it, that shouldn't be a problem for the mastering guy to deal with. Granted *I* understand that you don't have access to the raw tracks (as it's a stereo mix) and *you* should understand (as I'm assuming you already do) that there is only so much that can be tweaked from a stereo mix. More low end = more bass, more kick, etc.

Back