Possible To Purchase Drum Tracks

Wankenstein

New to this forum and new to home recording. I recently purchased a Tascam DP-008EX which is a very basic 8-track recorder. Is it possible to purchase/download real drum tracks from individuals and load them in to the recorder via laptop or other method?

Yes, but there practical reasons why it’s not quite that simple, and it’s nothing to do with the files. Practically, how do you organise it? Do you send the drummer a track, then they drum to it, then you add it back? How many tracks do you need from them? Kick, snare, hats, toms, overhead all separate, or a premix to stereo? Then when you add the bass, the kick is buried? an 8 track, working with drum tracks would be really hard work and not much fun! You mentioned a laptop. So you are going to take the tracks created in the Tascam, and stick them in the laptop. Maybe it would be better to just record the whole thing in the laptop if you need to start sending files to somebody else? Lots of people like simple hardware recorders for their old fashioned simplicity but the minute you start sharing files, they’re a real bottleneck. Sort of removes their point? With the files in the computer, the drummer can send you individual drums, and then you can add the rest. You can do what you want to do, but if you are new to home recording, you’ve sort of bought, in my humble view, the wrong thing if you want to collaborate. The money you spent on the Tascam would have paid for a nice interface and software.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply rob. I decided to buy a Yamaha DD-65 used drum pad kit and record via mics. I don't play drums, but this way I can at least provide a simple beat without much monetary investment. Also, may encourage me to take up drumming.

Last edited:
Rob, or others I am hoping that you will reply to the following.

I just received the used Yamaha DD-65 (includes Yamaha kick drum trigger pad KP65 & Pedal). It employs a 1/4" headphone/stereo out jack and my question is for recording should I use a balanced TRS 1/4" male to TRS 1/4" male single cable to record stereo on one track or use an insert cable that has a TRS jack plug on one end and two TS jack plugs on the other to split to the signal to left and right mono to record on two tracks at the same time (if possible)?

The insert cable, or it will sound very strange and not be stereo. The headphone uses a three circuit plug but is not a balanced output, it’s a left and a right, unbalanced, so the y lead gives you the two outputs.

Thanks Rob. I don't have either cable and figured it's best to ask before purchasing one.
Could I get by with a Shure SM57 mic for vocals and amps?
Any other mic(s) suggestions?
My bass cab is a Fender Rumble 200 which has a line out. I built my tube amps, but they don't have a line out so I have to mic them. Some clean guitar parts I will line-in direct to the recorder.

The SM57 is fine for amps and can be good for vocals. Get the AW1S foam wind screen, the AW2S locking foam windscreen or use a generic gooseneck mounted pop screen. Other types of mics to consider are SDC (small diaphragm condenser, e.g. SM81), LDC (large diaphragm condenser, e.g. AT4050) and ribbon (e.g. Royer R-122).

I'm with BSG - the 57 is a great starter mic, and when you do eventually buy more mics, the 57 will stay with you as a solid tool - never sidelined.

Thanks for the replies. Think I might purchase a SM-57, a SM-58 and pop-filters as suggested. Is a pre-amp or interface for mics necessary when recording with a multi-track recorder?

Either of those mics, or both, would be a good start. Just add an XLR cable for each mic and a pop screen. The recorder you mentioned above has XLR mic input, so you shouldn't need anything else.

Depending on how you sing, the SM58 might be fine without a pop screen. Some people even get away without one on the SM57, but that's pretty unusual.

Is a pre-amp or interface for mics necessary when recording with a multi-track recorder?
I would use a pre~amp.
For the best part of 20 years, I used the on-board pre~amp of my multitrackers. Once I began using an external one, there was no comparison. It made things like vocals and acoustic guitar picking so much easier. I wish I'd begun using one back in '92. The on-board pre~amps of the multitrackers I used were OK, but the external one gave me such great headroom.

I would use a pre~amp.
For the best part of 20 years, I used the on-board pre~amp of my multitrackers. Once I began using an external one, there was no comparison. It made things like vocals and acoustic guitar picking so much easier. I wish I'd begun using one back in '92. The on-board pre~amps of the multitrackers I used were OK, but the external one gave me such great headroom.
Thanks. Any suggestions for brand/model?

Back