Possible to make electric/acoustic sound like an electric

easlern

Boredom artist
Forgive me for asking a silly question but is there any hope of making my electric/acoustic bass sound more like a plain electric? Right now it sounds like, well you know, an acoustic that's plugged in. Got that ridgy dry sound, is there any hope of getting more electric-sounding, smooth and punchy, so I don't have to drop a few hundred more bucks on a real one?

Eq might soften it a bit, but as there's a roaring trade in alternative pickups because they make a big difference to the tone, you won't get an electro-acoustic bass to sound that tight. In fact, being a bass player, I hate that acoustic sound they have. They also play totally differently. Personally, I'd just buy a proper electric bass and get rid of the acoustic tone. Mind you, you then need to consider what bass sound. Mellow jazz, cutting Rickenbacker, tight Jazz bass (or precision maybe), or one of the other distinctive sounds. I guess that's why I have 6! One 4 string, 4 5's and a 6 string. They all sound wildly different. The 4 string is an electro-acoustic, similar to Gibson 335 style, and it sucks. Dull and weak.

How bad does it sound Rob, using VSTs for bass? I'm not sure if it would be better to use synth bass or my wimpy acoustic. Or is this just a lost cause and I need to start saving. . .

Back