Pop-up window when closing project scared me

spantini

COO of me, inc.
After adding a 6th track, I listened back several times playing with some guitar volumes. Then I decided to remove 1 unneeded track. Played with the guitar volumes some more, then decided to take a break.

I Saved, then Closed.. then, as it was closing down, a window popped up and it was so quick I only saw "Removed Track 2", then it closed out and I Quit. I don't recall having seen this window when closing before, and I'm thinking, "Reaper just deleted my guitar track!" and I'm freaking out.

Then I reopen the project and try an Undo - no go. However.. all my tracks are there intact, so no problem.. WHEW!

Then it dawned on me that Reaper was just finalizing the track removal as part of the Save. Well, that's what I'm calling it - dunno the technical terms for that.

But it scared the hell outta me!

A few considerations...

1) I am 99.9% sure that if your track had been deleted you wouldn't lose the audio recording (which would have been too much more scary in my opinion).

2) Still, if your audio had been deleted you would be able to recover it from your trash bin.

3) Undo and Redo actions are valid only during application session meaning that once you close the app OR the file you are working on all the history of the project is automatically cleared, so no more undos or redos.

4) Yeah, I never have seen it either.

Carry on!

:thumbs up:

PS: Of course even not losing your audio recording it still would be a PITA to lose all the adjustments you did in the track if it had been deleted. I am glad that everything was nothing else than a hiccup without major consequences after all!

As it turned out, the little black Reaper closing down window in the center of the screen that displays all the track additions and removals as the project is closing down is only displaying a brief history of events concerning track additions and removals. There's no real action taking place, so all is well on that front.

Once I've finished tracks, I never delete them (why? the amount of memory they take is small). If I don't need them, I mute them and drag them them to the bottom (to the right in the mixer view).

The tracks I do remove are pretty much unusable in the mix. I used to keep them around for a while and revisit them, but they tended to sound awful as the song progressed, so away they went.

Whoa!!! Just hold my horses there a minute! :eek::facepalm::laughings:

Jeezz.. the more I pay attention, the more I figure out. That little black Reaper closing window I been yakkin' about - I been readin' it all wrong.

All it's tellin' me is what it's doin' while it's packin' up the project as it's closing. Not a history of anything. It starts with "Removing track 7", then "Removing track 6", etc. as it counts down to track 1 and then it shuts down. Just a little progress report.

I gotta go pay some more attention.. later.

Back