POD song experiment

Sounds good, but I don't think he'll go for it. It'll have a domino effect.
Next thing you know, we'll be asking for a "salad tossing" forum.
And so on, and so on....

Teddie: have you got BOTH MIDI lines connected? It won't work without 2-way communication from PC to POD.

drstawl, I've got both plugged in. I've never messed with anything "midi"-wise before. Is there anything special I need to be setting up with this joystick/midi port thing? (I just shake my head in confusion).

Jon - I tried downloading it again from the link, but again I got a page of rubbish. I tried Charles' idea (right click the link, choose 'save this link'), and it worked for the download. But when I tried to play it, I got rubbish for sound, mostly - bit of faint guitar and a lot of upfront electric burble, like when you're scanning the frequencies on a shortwave radio really fast. At first I thought 'return of Hendrix', then I thought 'technobane'.

[This message has been edited by dobro (edited 05-31-2000).]

That's the song, the faint guitars with electric burble rythm tracks. I was going for the 'return of Hendrix' meets 'technobane' sound! Glad to see it worked. All the extra time I spent learning how to play that short wave radio really paid off too. :cool:

But seriously, sorry that link isn't working for you dobro. I have no idea why it's causing a problem. Thanks for trying to download the song again, and for spending the time even though you got gibberish. I guess it's time for me to go with i-drive or something similar and get away from the slow servers I'm using.

I just bought a POD last week ... and I've been having the most fun playing guitar in years. Sounds like you had a lot of fun playing this tune :) ... this little box is amazing!
I don't know about using it for bass though. As you admit, the bass is heavy in this ... but I think it also lacks definition. I think it's tough to distinguish it from the rhythm guitars ... but that could just be my monitors.
Anyway thanks for sharing, man! You smoke on guitar! :)

Couple o' things:

1. I still can't get the midi to work with this thing... I'm ignorant and all disappointed and stuff. Not at my Pod, at my ignorance and unability to figure this out. MIDI stands for what? My Ingnorance Defies Intelligence... Okay... nevermind.

2. I created an mp3.com station for folks who use a POD. here: http://www.mp3.com/stations/line6pod

3. BK, the BASS POD is coming out. Last time I heard, it's supposed to be out by Oct. I must have one... I just must.

Thanks for posting the POD stuff (and that was the fasted download ever for me - what kinda bandwidth you got there? :)). I've been using an ART SGX2000 for some time now and have been thinking about getting a POD since I've heard so much rave about them.

Great sounding lead there. And you've definitely got great chops. I didn't like the rhythm sound much - it sounded kind of muddy.

If anyone is interested in setting up a dynamic archive for POD settings/patches (or any other device), you can do that on a project I've been working on: www.audiocortex.com. Just add the device (may need to add the manufacturer first if not present), then go to the device's page and add whatever patches you want.

Cheers,
X

X, I used to use an ART SGX2000 for about 4 years. I bought a POD and was just thrilled with its performance. I think you'll like it a lot. You can do some wild stuff though with the SGX2000, but I'll take the POD over my old SGX anyday.

Thanks for the comments once again. I still haven't tried hooking the POD up via midi Teddie. I don't know anything about midi either, so we might be in the same boat. If you get it working let me know what you did, and I'll post if I get it going first. I'm interested in that Bass Pod too, but I'm going to check out what else is out there. I'm still not getting the bass that I want on some tracks.

Anyone have a clue why none of my stuff can be downloaded with Netscape, even when I use different servers? I do make all my temp webpages for stuff like this with Frontpage, so maybe Microsoft is throwing a wrench into it that way. Thanks for the tip on Netscape acting as a short-wave radio for my mp3s Doc.

Thanks X and BigKahuna for the comments and for confirming my thoughts about the rythm and bass guitars. I think the rythm track sounds muddy because of the lack of definition in the bass for some parts, and vice versa. That rythm guitar part was originally a scratch track to work from that I was going to replace. I'm going to apply ideas from this thread about that to get a new sound recorded. X, that server I have my stuff on is temporary, and it's always been slow for me. Maybe you got in at a good time or something. BTW, good name, are we related somehow? :D(lol)

Jon x Just downloaded 900 -- You have the chops down - for and sure - I record direct except I use a Roland VG-8 and it works out fine. Just fart around with the Pod a bit and you'll find what works. Once again kick ass guitar playing............

hey, thanks for the listen and welcome to the BBS. I gotta hook that POD up via midi and start working on some of the settings to get better sounds. I agree with ya, it just takes time experimenting and messing with all the parameters.

Back