Please help, might have got ripped off, Focusrite Saffire

Ricky Denim

Hey guys. Im an aussie and my girlfriend has purchased the Focusrite Saffire soundcard from ebay for my xmas present. I just received it and notice that it is NOT brand new as stated as box not sealed,tape pulled off etc.
BUT, it also came with a power converter as the adapter in the box has only 2 prongs on it and not the standard australian connection.

So it would seem to me that is from USA. Does it mean the power adapter it has is us or is the unit itself US only? Can I get a different adapter to plug into it?

Im not sure what to do.

Cheers

*update*
Ok so ive discovered that the unit is 12v output and the adapter it came with is US. BUT, I also found out that it self powers through 6-pin Firewire. Now I dont currently have firewire, well my case has it but i just found out my motherboard doesnt :(

My question is, i can power it through the adapter, and the lights come on. But nothing happens? You cant hear anything nor change anything. Does it HAVE to be connected to the PC via firewire to even hear anything?

I'm worried its broken.

cheers

AFAIK the saffire units are firewire, so I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt do anything. Unless your model is also USB.

Take heart, the FW cards that come with most motherboards suck anyway and a Texas Instruments chipped PCI card with firewire on it can be had for cheap

What is the exact model of your Saffire?

Its the plain Saffire, not the LE or Pro, the white one with onboard DSP.
I'll try get a PCI card tomorrow and see how I go. I found a FAQ for the PRO Saffire and IT states it can be ran without PC but needs to be switched via the software console to do it.

Possibly the same goes with mine. Hopefully lol.

If you want to run it off mains you'll need to get either a 240-110V stepdown transformer, or get a power pack with the same wattage and current output.

Have a look at the powerpack - it'll say something like 12VAC, 2000mA. See if you can get something similar, with the same shape connector. Failing that, just get a transformer. Jeycar, Dick Smith etc. have heaps of them. Again just make sure you get the right power output. If it wants 100W, don't get a 50W unit

Bulls, in the package it does have a transformer for 110 to 240v and when I plug it in, it powers up, but none of the buttons work, nor any sound comes out when pluggin in line input or mic.

I think the mains is only if firewire connection is 4pin and cant power it. It looks as though it doesnt operate without PC connection.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to get it to do without being plugged into a computer. The saffire is a sound card for recording, it does not do anything without a computer connected to it. And yes, the only reason it even comes with a DC adapter is so you can use it with 4pin firewire connections (the unpowered ones)

Yeah I do understand that, I just really figured that I would still get sound out of it not plugged in to the PC.

My new problem is that finding a firewire PCI card aint so easy.
I can get one from a computer shop for $12, a VIA chipset. $50 for a belkin or $27 for USB/Firewire ALI chipset.

Doing searches i'm not sure if these will work with the saffire?

Watch out for the combo cards, they can be problematic. I cant remember the other brand besides TI chipsets that were sometimes OK...could be VIA

Great, thanks. Looks like the cheapo and combo are out then. The only one i've found in stores near me is the belkin. Not sure what chipset it is though.
Might have to order something online. I'd prefer TI chipset.

Its Lucent thats the other chipset that usually works fine. TI are easy enough to fine, and the Belkin is more than likely TI. I believe all Ive seen from them have been.

Cool. I guess I might just have to try it out. I might call the store that had the belkin and find out the model and do a search on the chipset. Fingers crossed! Didnt expect this to be my biggest issue lol.

Ok I have got my Saffire setup but I have a problem. I knew it wouldnt be smooth sailing :(

When i plug my condenser mic in, and turn phantom power on, i just get low level noise. No sound AT ALL. I've played with all the settings, read faqs, adjusted latency on PCI, still no sound. Line level for guitar worked. But no mic.

ANy suggestions?

Yep. Tried my Shure BG1 and worked perfectly, also tried line input with guitar. Also worked. Seems to be just the condenser.
I think im in trouble.
I bought it off ebay and the seller says has 12 months warranty and said i have to send back to them for warranty issues. I just bought it! They said it was new and it opened and now if i have to send it back, who knows whats gonna happen with it.

Grr.

Yep. Tried my Shure BG1 and worked perfectly, also tried line input with guitar. Also worked. Seems to be just the condenser.
I think im in trouble.
I bought it off ebay and the seller says has 12 months warranty and said i have to send back to them for warranty issues. I just bought it! They said it was new and it opened and now if i have to send it back, who knows whats gonna happen with it.

Grr.

Are you drawing your power from the Firewire port?

If so, can it generate Phantom power from that? Just curious because I always assumed you had to have something like at least a wall wart to generate enough power for full Phantom power.

Tim

Are you drawing your power from the Firewire port?

If so, can it generate Phantom power from that? Just curious because I always assumed you had to have something like at least a wall wart to generate enough power for full Phantom power.

Plenty of power for two channels. Phantom power is milliwatts, FireWire provides at minimum a few watts.

Back