Please help fix my audio routing!

Bob Chappell

I have a Kawai electric piano piped into an Edirol UA-4FX sound card connected to my Windows 7 desktop.
I make midi piano arrangements, recording performances or playing midi scores in Cubase 5 via an Edirol 3-UM-1 interface and playing back through the Kawai - beautiful sound.
What I want to be able to do is mix down the Kawai midi playback to an audio track in Cubase. I'm sure I used to be able to do this, and in stereo too!
An audio track set to record registers no activity when I play back, though the sound is coming through the Kawai just fine.
Can anybody help me do this, please!!
Thanks for your time!
Bob Chappell
www.musicarta.com

Do you see a recorded MIDI track in your project? If so, you have to have a virtual instrument assigned to it to hear anything. At least, that’s how it works in Logic!

Or, you send your recorded MIDI to your keyboard, then with the audio outs, record the live playback to analog track. That is how you will get the sound of your keyboard to the DAW. If you change sounds, then you have to know how to send system messages to your keyboard from your DAW.

Quick rundown, take your MIDI track and make sure it is playing on your keyboard. Once that is working, then plug your keyboard outs to your interface input, usually stereo or channel 1/2 for L/R.

I am assuming I understand your question. Otherwise, like posted above, you will need an Instrument/Synth plug in.

I have a Kawai electric piano piped into an Edirol UA-4FX sound card connected to my Windows 7 desktop.
I make midi piano arrangements, recording performances or playing midi scores in Cubase 5 via an Edirol 3-UM-1 interface and playing back through the Kawai - beautiful sound.
What I want to be able to do is mix down the Kawai midi playback to an audio track in Cubase. I'm sure I used to be able to do this, and in stereo too!
An audio track set to record registers no activity when I play back, though the sound is coming through the Kawai just fine.
Can anybody help me do this, please!!
Thanks for your time!
Bob Chappell
www.musicarta.com
Route the audio output of your Kawaii back to Cubase and record it.

Do you see a recorded MIDI track in your project? If so, you have to have a virtual instrument assigned to it to hear anything. At least, that’s how it works in Logic!
Yes, got two midi tracks, right hand and left hand, they are routed back to the 3-UM-1 midi interface, which is why they play through the Kawai - using it as a VST in effect I suppose. It's getting that Kawai voice out that's the problem.
Thanks!

Route the audio output of your Kawaii back to Cubase and record it.
Ah, yes, how is the question... I've got Line Out L/R/Mono jacks (big fat old-style) on the Kawai, but mini-jacks on the sound-card. If I get the right cables and get it to the sound-card, is it plain sailing from there?

Last edited:
Looks like the Edirol 3 UM-1 won't handle audio . . . the UM-1 I'm looking at has MIDI IN/OUT and USB only it seems.

Assuming your Kawai keyboard has audio outs, I believe an audio interface is needed, one with at least two inputs for instruments/mics so you can get a stereo recording, then follow @DM60's suggestions.
Yes, the UM-1 is just for midi, but I assumed my sound card would be able to do what I want. There's a jack-plug cable from Line Out (mono) to the Guiar jack input on the UA04FX sound card, for all the good it does (none).
Thanks for your input.

Or, you send your recorded MIDI to your keyboard, then with the audio outs, record the live playback to analog track. That is how you will get the sound of your keyboard to the DAW. If you change sounds, then you have to know how to send system messages to your keyboard from your DAW.

Quick rundown, take your MIDI track and make sure it is playing on your keyboard. Once that is working, then plug your keyboard outs to your interface input, usually stereo or channel 1/2 for L/R.

I am assuming I understand your question. Otherwise, like posted above, you will need an Instrument/Synth plug in.
Yes, goingg to get some big jack to little jack cables made and try that. Thanks for your time and trouble,.

Audio out from keyboard to interface input. In Cubase make sure your routing is set to take the correct audio input from interface. In the inspector box, on an audio track, make sure the input is also set to the relevant interface channel. You might need to use the button in the track strip to route the input to the monitors before you go to record mode, and at this point, the meters should be showing the input level. Hit record when the levels are right and job done. Usual problems are that the audio track is trying to record the wrong audio source, or your routing is not addressing the right interface, or driver type.

Ah, yes, how is the question... I've got Line Out L/R/Mono jacks (big fat old-style) on the Kawai, but mini-jacks on the sound-card. If I get the right cables and get it to the sound-card, is it plain sailing from there?
Yes - I don't know if the Kawaii is TRS - but I'd assume is is TS - so 2 TS to 1/8" mini.

Back