Please help! Beginner trying to set up a small home studio

JayBurd

Hey guys, first post here.

Me and a friend have been messing around with DAWs for awhile now and have recorded a few songs on his MXL 990 which is hooked up to his M-Audio interface.

I'd like to get more into producing my own beats as well as having the ability to rap over them.

What would be a good starter mic for hip-hop vocals? I've been researching and found that condenser mics are much preferred for studio recording, correct? I've also found that a lot of people say that the MXL 990 has great sound quality for the price. True enough or am I mis-informed?

Also, I know that if I get an XLR mic, I will need something to power it (w/ Phantom Power). Would an audio interface work well, or would a mixer be more appropriate and useful? I really have no idea as I am quite the noob, but would love some help on the subject. :)

I know this question or questions like it are probably asked a lot, but I searched the threads and surprisingly couldn't find much.

Thanks,
JayBurd

Last edited:
Condenser microphones are preferred for studio recording, why? Because they are much more sensitive and they pick up more things around them. It is preferred by studios because they have control over noise and are able to manipulate the kind of sound they want. If its home recording, I'd go for dynamic microphones as they are more robust and much lesser sensitivity with the same input gain with the microphone. UNLESS if you have a sound-treated room and are able to record without any background noises (cars, cat/dog etc) then go for the condenser. Try going for a decent condenser microphone AND a dynamic microphone at the music store that you will be visiting, as in try them out at the store and see which one suits you better.I hope this helps you in your decision. Also, an audio interface with phantom power like the Steinberg CL1 would do just fine for you. Mixers from what I know are to produce LIVE sound and more while an audio interface lets you record it.

Cheers,
Darren.

Hey Jay,

First off read these threads (they helpped me majorly)
-https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/newbies/mixers-home-recording-338083/
-https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/newbies/introduction-multitrack-computer-interface-recording-323561/

What you get depends on how much your willing to spend and how much your gonna use it? Because your not gonna go and buy a $2,000 mic if you only use it a couple of times. That being said you'll find you can get a good quality dynamic mic for less money then a good quality condenser.

:)

Back