Please critique my mix!!

nomadx

Jiminy Crickett
Hello, folks. This will be my first post here. I look forward to getting as much knowledge from all of you as possible. Would you mind giving your thoughts on this mix? I'm writing and recording myself and I need someone other than myself to point out flaws in the mix. I suppose I could handle flaws with the song/performance/composition also...:).

I do some material with a full band as well named Everstray. See my sig if interested. Thanks, all.

https://soundcloud.com/x-nomad-x/climb-the-wall

Last edited:
160 views & no comments - used to be much busier in here. Overall, the mix sounds pretty good - just looking at the waveform on sound cloud it looks pretty heavily limited - no big deal though 'bout everybody does it that way these days. Nice overall, maybe nobody can offer any way to improve it... :)

i updated flash and now its working....

you need to be giving advice not asking for it...imo.

thats pro level from what im hearing.

very well done. Love the sounds. Reminds me of early to mid 90's stuff. A favorite genre. The vox seems a tad down in the mix for my taste. All the guitars sound really good, bass too. Drums seem to lack dynamics and could be more prominent. I'm not a fan of wide toms. very nice work!!

very well done. Love the sounds. Reminds me of early to mid 90's stuff. A favorite genre. The vox seems a tad down in the mix for my taste. All the guitars sound really good, bass too. Drums seem to lack dynamics and could be more prominent. I'm not a fan of wide toms. very nice work!!

Thanks for the feedback, Elton123. I agree about the vocals. I have a version where I've pushed up the vox a bit. Any suggestions for breathing extra life into the midi drums?

Thanks for the feedback, Elton123. I agree about the vocals. I have a version where I've pushed up the vox a bit. Any suggestions for breathing extra life into the midi drums?

When i work with 'Strike"(Pro tools virtual drum plug in) I find it helpful to turn off all the processing in the plug in that i can, so I'm getting as close to a raw sound as possible. Strike also has a parameter for adjusting the "mic bleed" It seems to help when I open that up a bit. Then i bounce out each track including the overheads, and treat each track individually. Then send to a drum master and treat it like i would if I had recorded live drums. This track warrants a real player behind a kit tho. :)

When i work with 'Strike"(Pro tools virtual drum plug in) I find it helpful to turn off all the processing in the plug in that i can, so I'm getting as close to a raw sound as possible. Strike also has a parameter for adjusting the "mic bleed" It seems to help when I open that up a bit. Then i bounce out each track including the overheads, and treat each track individually. Then send to a drum master and treat it like i would if I had recorded live drums. This track warrants a real player behind a kit tho. :)

I have similar controls in my midi drum application. I'll play with that a bit. Thanks again.

Nice silky singing voice. I'd keep the double tracked vocals down the center. just a preference I have. On headphones, you can hear the doubled tracks.

Clean guitars sound good. Another preference thing, but I'd like the crunchy guitars to have just a little stronger low end.

I thought the bass tone fit in real well with the mix.

Thanks, TripleM. The gtrs are a bit thin and need some added low end. It's tough to get them fat without stepping on the bass.

I like the singing a lot. This is a good song and I agree that it could benefit from a live drummer. Perhaps someone on the forum would be willing to volunteer. I might try and make the master more dynamic but thats just a personal thing.

Back