Pigs (Three Different Ones)

It sounds pretty good.
The guitar tone is a bit hollow (is it a sim?).

You seem to rush the guitars a bit with early timing. It's most noticeable in the beginning when first coming in with the keyboard, then settles down as the song moves along.

The mix is a bit cold sounding. Adding some warmth to the mix would help it.

I also think this sounds pretty good. Is there delay on the guitars when they first come in or is that all strumming? I think it sounds a bit better with delay. Overall really good cover man.

It sounds pretty good.
The guitar tone is a bit hollow (is it a sim?).

You seem to rush the guitars a bit with early timing. It's most noticeable in the beginning when first coming in with the keyboard, then settles down as the song moves along.

The mix is a bit cold sounding. Adding some warmth to the mix would help it.

Thanks for the feedback! By "hollow" what exactly do you mean? The rhythm tone was done on a Boss GT-10 overdriven Tube Preamp sim pumped through my Peavey Classic 30 tube amp speaker (mic'd). I do shift the rhythm guitar to a left pan so could that be it?

The early timing rush, is that just the beginning intro chords? I do use a slightly faster tempo (bpm) than the original so could it just be that?

I also think this sounds pretty good. Is there delay on the guitars when they first come in or is that all strumming? I think it sounds a bit better with delay. Overall really good cover man.

No delay on the intro guitar hits. I tried delay a while ago but it felt a bit muddy. I wanted the intro to feel in-your-face and took out the delay in favor of slight reverb.

Thanks guys. Any other reviews from the crowd? Big Floyd fans?

It's a good cover but you're missing the fire of the original. Try getting the drums up louder. They need to drive the song. The ambiance on your guitars is diminishing their impact. The whole mix could be a dryer. Good playing.

Thanks for the feedback! By "hollow" what exactly do you mean? The rhythm tone was done on a Boss GT-10 overdriven Tube Preamp sim pumped through my Peavey Classic 30 tube amp speaker (mic'd). I do shift the rhythm guitar to a left pan so could that be it?

The early timing rush, is that just the beginning intro chords? I do use a slightly faster tempo (bpm) than the original so could it just be that?

By hollow I'm hearing a mid scoop in the guitars (the bass sounds scooped as well). Maybe see if anyone else hears it and dislikes it, and if not it's probably fine. I'd personally use a more full tone. Did you EQ the guitars and bass in that way?

The early timing is mostly when the guitars come in over the keyboard for the first time. The 35 second mark is a clear example. Maybe it's me but that sounds early.

Overall, you did a solid job.

It's a good cover but you're missing the fire of the original. Try getting the drums up louder. They need to drive the song. The ambiance on your guitars is diminishing their impact. The whole mix could be a dryer. Good playing.

Good call on the drums. I can raise them in the mix. Where is the ambiance in the guitars? Are you referring to the rhythm guitar? Lead? What part in the song? Do you think the added crunch to the rhythm guitar tone adds some fire?

The main rhythm guitar that's playing throughout. It sounds scooped and distant.

Gotcha. Does anyone else think this? I am struggling with EQ'ing the tone. I was originally a fan of the trashy, trebly, tone that felt nasty like a pig. Does the tone work or not really? Curious to know what ya'll think. Thanks for the inputs!!

I think the tone you got worked pretty well but I agree that it sounds distant especially right next to the dry bass.

Interesting observations, but you're right. Now the question I have is - do you see it as a cool stylistic twist or a real detractor from the song?

Well I listened again and honestly in my opinion, it's not a total detractor. But Animals is my favorite Pink Floyd album so I'm just kinda rocking out to your cover right now. The critical side of me just feels as though the band is a little too wet minus the bass. But maybe you wanted it to sound more like a live band playing.

Listening as I type....

Part 1...
Nice bass tone on the intro. The electrics were a little harsh sounding when they came in surprisingly loud.
Once the verse comes in they settled back nicely.

"Telephone" vocal - nice effect which I always like and you used it at the right times so it's not overdone.

Part 2 - 4:10 ....
Might be my headphones but the rhythms have a tiny bit of brightness that I would trim just a bit. Nice change up though...
Voice box? or Pedal? another well done/in the right place/time effect choice. The guitar melody is very tasty there.

Part 3 - 7:00 ish...
Basically a repeat of Part 1 comments...
Nice bass tone again. The electrics were a little harsh, once the verse comes in they settled back nicely. Telephone again is cool.
That last lead solo is a great performance. Interesting fade out :)

:D:D:D:D

Back