Phryge Magnets - 80s Metallica Style

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
Afternoon (morning to the yanks) gents,

This was a just a riff that I had floating around and it got arranged into a full track a fortnight ago - only just got around to re-tracking the guitars though. The riff in this is a bit tricky so it was a bugger to keep my concentration for the entire track to get a clean take!

View attachment Phyridge Magnets Arr3.mp3

I'd like to hear what you think listening to it on whatever monitors, headphones, laptop speakers, earbuds or mobile phone speaker you prefer!

Cheers,

EDIT: Updated version a few posts down based on comments.

Further updated version with the bassline re-tracked. Its now got no bits in it that are stitched together - something that I'm really anal about!

View attachment Phyridge Magnets re-bassed.mp3

I've also given the guitars a little boost at 200hz coupled with some small cuts throughout the mid based on Greg's comments below.

Last edited:
Sounds ace. I don't understand the genre well enough to make any style comments. Are you going to move on from instrumentals? :D

Solo just came on - very interesting tone!

For the record, I'm listening on Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 Ohm headphones - LOUD!! :D

Sounds ace. I don't understand the genre well enough to make any style comments. Are you going to move on from instrumentals? :D

Solo just came on - very interesting tone!

For the record, I'm listening on Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 Ohm headphones - LOUD!! :D

Yeah, will do when I get my singing sorted to my satisfaction. Suppose I should practice that more than playing the guitar all the time. (or just find someone who can sing as I'm trying to - I've built up a fair backlog of stuff that needs vocals added now though)

Ah, the solo is an adlib that I wah-wahed to death (Kirk Hammett style) but I quite liked it so decided to keep it! I bet if I checked most of the licks would be off Metallica's Black Album.

Cheers anyway, Bubba.

You have some spatial imbalance going on IMO. The drums and bass seem to be sitting back further than the rhythm guitars which seem very dry and pound into my earholes. And it's not just levels. Even though the levels are fairly good, there's a space to the drums that the guitars don't have. I think your guitar tones are mostly good, but they seem to work better for the leads than rhythm. The rhythms are pretty midrangey. That's usually a good thing, but on riffs like this, I think you need more chunk. The low end of the guitars is pretty light. I'm not getting the resonance of a cab shaking. It sounds like you high-passed them. You hear how what little low end there is in the guitars is kind of scratchy? To me that sounds like a guitar track that has had the low end removed. It's not terrible, but I think they could be better. You could just *gasp* gently scoop some mids/upper mids and smooth it out probably. I hate saying that, but I think it would work.

The drums sound pretty good. I like your Greg beats in there. :D

The bass is a little bland. It's bass, it's doing it's job, but it's not anything spectacular. And that is okay, bass is just bass, but it could be more aggressive.

The wah'd out lead tone is pretty good. It's clashing with the middy guitars a bit.

You have some spatial imbalance going on IMO. The drums and bass seem to be sitting back further than the rhythm guitars which seem very dry and pound into my earholes. And it's not just levels. Even though the levels are fairly good, there's a space to the drums that the guitars don't have. I think your guitar tones are mostly good, but they seem to work better for the leads than rhythm. The rhythms are pretty midrangey. That's usually a good thing, but on riffs like this, I think you need more chunk. The low end of the guitars is pretty light. I'm not getting the resonance of a cab shaking. It sounds like you high-passed them. You hear how what little low end there is in the guitars is kind of scratchy? To me that sounds like a guitar track that has had the low end removed. It's not terrible, but I think they could be better. You could just *gasp* gently scoop some mids/upper mids and smooth it out probably. I hate saying that, but I think it would work.

The drums sound pretty good. I like your Greg beats in there. :D

The bass is a little bland. It's bass, it's doing it's job, but it's not anything spectacular. And that is okay, bass is just bass, but it could be more aggressive.

The wah'd out lead tone is pretty good. It's clashing with the middy guitars a bit.

Brilliant, cheers mate.

The guitars main guitars are totally dry, I suppose I could add a hint of 'verb to them to make them sit a little bit better with the drums.
I'll have a fiddle with the reverb first and see if that beefs things out a bit, then maybe I'll bump the bottom end slightly or something.

You just reminded me actually - I need to re-track the bass - that's actually a few bits stuck together when I was sorting out the arrangement. It might even be two different basses. Everything else on there is a single take!

Yeah, that's definite Greg-Beat! :D

The verb mix is much better.
The lead has nice flying fingers.
You do like your meatl guitars don't you. I have no idea tone wise as I'm not tone wise.
Get a melody, lyrics and vocal sorted.
As mentioned a new bass track with more aggression would be a good thing though the current one does work.

Back