Philandering Fool : another guitar instrumental. How is the mix?

bendbones

Hey All,

I've been working on a new guitar instrumental and wondering what people think. I've been experimenting a bit with compression on the guitar tracks which I don't normally use (I tend to prefer 'natural' amp compression). I think the mix is ok-ish but possibly a bit muddy in places..

Philandering Fool

Thanks,
Ben.

Yeah it seems a little wooly to my ears. Maybe you could try a low-mid cut in the drums? I’ve had this struggle before, I’m not sure what I did in particular to solve it though. Are the drums live or vst?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm using EZ Drummer for the drum parts all going into logic pro as a stereo mix (rather than as individual tracks for each drum part). I'm additionally applying a little bus compression on the stereo drum mix. But no EQ or anything.

Last edited:
The guitar doesnt sound as muddy to me. I think it sounds cool. It actually sounds like an amp compression, IMO. The drums to mee sound a little bit too loud. Too upfront I would say. But it doesnt sound bad, its just my taste.

Thanks for the feedback -- I'm going to try and tidy the drums up a little this weekend. Will aim to post up a new mix once done. Thanks!

I've had a go at making the mix a little brighter; a bit less muddy I think. Is this any better? I think I have some kind of ear fatigue / need to invest in some better monitoring.. (I'm currently mixing on multiple sets of headphones -- yeah, I know; space is a limiting factor).

Philandering Fool (brighter mix)

I used Joe Satriani's track 'Friends' as a reference.

Thanks,
Ben.

Last edited:
Great playing !! Really like it, got some licks for sure
👍😎
Listening on my phone so can't really comment on either mix with any solid critique. I think the drums could be pushed back a touch, maybe a little verb ?

Dig the tune man
Really dig the guitar playing ! Well done

Thanks man, really appreciate the feedback! The second of the above two mixes (I.e., the brighter mix) has attempted to push the drums back a little. But yeah, I’m struggling a bit to get them to sit well overall.. Thanks!

Thanks although the snare is dead on center according to the Logic Pro pan control. So assuming that you’re monitoring is better than mine, it must be the overheads picking up some bleed. I’d prefer not to touch those as I’m quite happy with how those are balanced generally. Thanks again!

Thanks although the snare is dead on center according to the Logic Pro pan control. So assuming that you’re monitoring is better than mine, it must be the overheads picking up some bleed. I’d prefer not to touch those as I’m quite happy with how those are balanced generally. Thanks again!
That's cool. It might very well be the overheads are slightly skewing the centering.

Back