phase shifter plugins?

dobro

Phase shifter plugin? Really? Phase corrector plugin? Really?

Do you use one? Recommend one?

Why not just drag one track left or right a bit? Or flip the polarity on one track?

I have this one called Phasebug but I've never used it. It does work though. I'd rather just slide a track if need be.

I find them extremely useful. Something like Melda Auto-Align is what I use. Yes, if you are just aligning two recorded tracks, waveform works fine. However, the issue happens when aligning multiple parallel tracks post-processing. For example, I tend to duplicate a bass track three times and process them separately (DI, AMP, Distort). Since these are the same source signal, the waveforms would technically line up, but the processing changes this drastically, so using a phase alignment plug-in makes a huge difference in the tone. I was surprised the first time I heard it, but now it is something I use nearly every mix.

I don't usually have a need for that sort of thing, and would prefer to nudge or flip like you said.

But these things are all-pass filters, and that is one of the options for each band in ReaEQ, so I would use that. I sometimes use it as a "phase rotator" on single vocal tracks. It's a trick from radio land that can redistribute the energy in the signal and make the waveform itself more symmetrical. It's a very subtle effect on its own, but kind of helps really assymetrical sounds (like a lot of make vocals) to sound a bit fuller, and to take compression just a little better.

Back