Phantom power with condenser mic/android

Anthonyc

I recently purchased a BM-8000 condeser studio mic that came with phantom power. Now i have used with the phantom power box and without with my LG V-10. The mic seems to work either way. Is there a plus side to this? Or am i missing why i need the phantom power?

It's an $18 mic. If it's working for you without phantom power, then what's your concern?

A lot of cheap so-called condenser mics are designed to work with computers and smart phones which can often provide a "bias voltage" which is low but enough to drive the most basic level of powered mic. I'm guessing that your Android provides such a bias voltage and that the mic you bought will work with it.

A lot of cheap so-called condenser mics are designed to work with computers and smart phones which can often provide a "bias voltage" which is low but enough to drive the most basic level of powered mic. I'm guessing that your Android provides such a bias voltage and that the mic you bought will work with it.

Now i just wondered is it suppose to perform netter with the phantom power. I was told this was a decent starter mic.

Now i just wondered is it suppose to perform netter with the phantom power. I was told this was a decent starter mic.
Anthonyc said:
Now i have used with the phantom power box and without with my LG V-10. The mic seems to work either way.

If you've used it both ways, with and without, which way seems better to you? There likely isn't much difference in the quality of the sound for the price point of the mic whether phantom is used or not. If you happened to have a device that did not provide the "bias voltage" that Bobbsy mentioned, then the extra phantom power would be necessary.

Don't get confused by the terms "Phantom power" and "bias voltage".

Phantom power is just power that runs through the mic cable to power the electronics in the mic. Without it, the mic would make no sound. If it worked without the Phantom box, the mic was obviously getting power from the phone. The phone is providing the Phantom power to run the mic.

They probably designed the mic to run with lower voltage, so it could be used the way you are using it.

However, if the phone is providing the mic power, you will probably drain the battery much faster than normal. Using the Phantom power box will keep that from happening.

Probably not much more than a small diaphragm electret element mic which can use a low voltage at low current similar to the design of the cheap electret lavaliere clipons that use a coin cell to power it. Phantom power at 48v is likely just reduced in the mic to a voltage suitable for the electronics.
I think Dave(ecc83) may have picked up one of these to play with.

Back