Paracetamol Nights

Well - there are a number of things that pop up. The drum sound is pretty poor- just doesn't work. It's bland and some of the sounds - more like somebody hitting a hot water pipe than a hit hat? The worst thing for me is the non-conformist chord changes. The Major to minor repeated motif is nice, but it modulates into a very wrong sounding chord that is unsettling. Sometimes the melody line fights with the chords - clashes that make me wince a bit in places. It's just a bit bland and early 80s for me. The instruments seem a little disappointing in tonal content. The two tones at the beginning for example - a bass note and a high note - but quite dull? With some more Ruch sounding instruments it would be much better - but the chord progressions for me were random in places.

The drum sound is pretty poor- just doesn't work. It's bland and some of the sounds - more like somebody hitting a hot water pipe than a hit hat?

Hmmm, I started the song with the drums and lead synth and aimed for some retro-ish lo-fi almost 90s arcade sound. But then I kept adding more instruments which I gave a more modern sound (organ, guitar).
Probably I should stick to one style or another :P

... modulates into a very wrong sounding chord that is unsettling. Sometimes the melody line fights with the chords - clashes that make me wince a bit in places.

Really? Hmmmm, yea I guess it might sound a little dissonant in places.

With some more Ruch sounding instruments it would be much better

I guess my mixed lo-fi / hi-fi approach didn't quite work here :P

Thanks for your feedback, I'll keep that in mind for the next session :)

Don't worry - it's quite possible I missed the point - but it's a journey to nowhere in style terms, and doesn't;t seem to have a musical home. It is dissonant but I can't quite see why you did it that way. I think that chord progressions need to follow rules unless they break them for a reason, and this just seems a bit unusual?

The trouble is that while organs are simple to synthesise guitars just sound weird!

Wait for other people to comment because just my viewpoint insult enough. We all like different things, so it could easily be me just not getting it.

I fixed that link for ya. :)

So yeah, I tend to agree with much of what Rob stated.

I almost heard Madonna 'Lucky Star' in there. Not sure that is a good thing. lol! Sounds like an 80's tv show intro.

I think layering or replacing with more realistic drums will make a big difference.

But I do see where you are going. It just seems a bit off to me. But hey, this isn't my baby so who cares what I think.

Carry on man! :D

... to synthesise guitars just sound weird!

Oh, the guitar is a real recording though - maybe my mastering attempt made it sound artificial.

I fixed that link for ya. :)

Thanks!

I almost heard Madonna 'Lucky Star' in there. Not sure that is a good thing. lol! Sounds like an 80's tv show intro.

Haha, nice comparisons! 80's tv show wasn't quite my intention, but well :D

Carry on man! :D

Yea! :guitar:

I'm also in agreement with most of what rob and jimmy had to say. However.. at the 2:26 mark it hit a more traditional groove, which was very pleasant right to the end. If you can get the first 2:25 seconds to sound like the last :35 seconds... :listeningmusic:

Excellent stuff. Drew me in straight away. Got a bit of a retro Devo sound to it. I like it, you put your broken leg to good use :D

Excellent stuff. Drew me in straight away. Got a bit of a retro Devo sound to it. I like it, you put your broken leg to good use :D

Thank you :) I didn't know Devo, but I love this weirdo music, haha - it oddly inspires me, wait for my next post :D

I didn't hear dissonant. Give it some vocals for starters. Then let's hear what you have. It will not hold the audience's attention as an instrumental.

Back