Panning with folders in Reaper

BriamJH

Assume I have two child tracks with rhythm guitar. I have panned one hard left and one hard right. Two questions: 1. Does the panning stay as I have put it when played from the folder. 2. What happens to the panning if I pan the folder (or should the folder always remain in Centre).

Many thanks, (doing my first mix !!!)
Brian

The parent track should maintain any aspects of the child track. However, say you mix track A hard left and track B hard right for two tracks. The pan control of the parent track will adjust the relative level of the two. Moving the pan control fully left will take away track B, moving fully right will remove track A. It's a bit counterintuitive, as you might think it should maintain a relative level, but it doesn't. It acts exactly the same as putting two track left and right and then panning the master track.

If you want to maintain the stereo image of the child tracks, you need to keep the pan control of the parent centered. Its a very easy thing to test. Just load 2 tracks and play with the pan controls, and you'll see what I mean.

Back