Panic! My A8 stop playing!

TimdosXutos

Olá, I was recording on my Fostex A8, the tape reached the end and skipped causing the recorder to stop, I repositioned it, recorded the end again, it skipped. When I replaced the tape, I rewound it, but it doesn't play, the capstain gets stuck... what could have happened? It reels and rewinds Thanks Tim

Does the capstan spin at all? If the capstan spins freely but doesn't drive, then there's a good possibility that the belt has broken or is slipping. The takeup and rewind reels are driven differently than the capstan.

You can get full belt kits for the deck online. It's very common for old belts to break, harden or stretch. Some belts simply turn to a tar-like goo if they aren't used.

Last edited:
Does the capstan spin at all? If the capstan spins freely but doesn't drive, then there's a good possibility that the belt has broken or is slipping. The takeup and rewind reels are driven differently than the capstan.

You can get full belt kits for the deck online. It's very common for old belts to break, harden or stretch. Some belts simply turn to a tar-like goo if they aren't used.
Thanks, the capstain rolls free by hand, so it's like to be the belt, I will try to open it and see.
Thanks again
Tim

Back