Overhead Mic Clipping even at extremely quiet recording levels…

Logan55x

I had some friends over to help them record some songs for their band, and I knew recording live drums would be a challenge with just two SM57’s, but things became ruinous when I tried to set levels for the overhead mic and I could not get it to stop going into the red without adding a bit of compression and turning the gain waaaaay down. The result was an extremely quiet drum track that hated being turned up, because even through highly distorting levels of compression, still went into the red before reaching a decently high volume. I’m just wondering what I need to do to track at an appropriate dynamic without constant clipping or relying on hypercompression. I’m using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (college student) and Pro Tools (student discount) in my bedroom.

Also, sound sources that are highly impulsive need to be recorded low enough to prevent clipping their peaks. That might mean turning the gain record quite low and then using compression/limiting to get them up to a more typical average level.

Where was the other mic? The overhead usually has more gain than the other sources, so is rarely the problem. Something is adrift with the gain settings, as said above.

There is something weird going on there? The 2i2 has a mic input clip point of +9dBu that is over 2V rms and I cannot see that coming out of an SM57? You would all be instantly deafened!

I seem to remember the Mk1s had less headroom but even so!

Dave.

Back