Otari MX 5050 B111....F?

It seems to have the fourth head for ? also missing some of the "usual suspects" on the inputs. Like one line input and one mic input.

But I can't find anything on the web or at the Otari site. Otari does mention an optional "P" unit. That is a playback only Model.

OK found this;
http://www.otari.com/product/recorder/mx5050/spec.html

So what does that mean Full track?

Last edited:
The Otari BIII-F is a full-track (Mono) record/reproduce model, which means it records one wide track across the entire width of the tape. That is, it does not record in stereo. However it has a fourth head that is 2-track (half-track) repro so you can play tapes recorded on a 2-track machine.

Are you kidding? You can make awesome mono mixes!

Man, I would LOVE to have a full-track mono tape deck to mix down to...I can't make a good analog mix until I can get my hands on one.

fgonza2
Thanks

Beck Thanks, Not good for a mixdown unit I guess.

Correct, it would not be suitable as a mixdown or mastering deck, unless you had a thing for pre-stereo era sound.

fgonza2
Thanks

Beck Thanks, Not good for a mixdown unit I guess.

Good for doing high res tape loops and tape compressor as part of a DAW - no higher resolution possible on analog tape for a single channel
Good for creating calibration tapes that you can potentially sell $$$ :) just an idea.

Not a bad machine at all, a unique machine for sure. If you are selling it let me know. I don't need one, but i'm sure i'll find a use for it. I'm serious, let me know.

Good way to play back tapes recorded in the field on Nagra full track. Save wear and tear on the little guy and have a much easier transport to deal with. ;)

Good for doing high res tape loops and tape compressor as part of a DAW - no higher resolution possible on analog tape for a single channel
Good for creating calibration tapes that you can potentially sell $$$ :) just an idea.

Not a bad machine at all, a unique machine for sure. If you are selling it let me know. I don't need one, but i'm sure i'll find a use for it. I'm serious, let me know.

I asked the question because of this I ran across. I'm not interested but you maybe.
Otari MX 5050 Mkiii | eBay

Hi folks! I happened to have come across a good condition MX5050 BiiF machine that has just been serviced and lineup. All working well. Transport is smooth, good heads, nice machine. Anyone here still interested? I'm thinking selling it for around $1400 AUD. No sure where everyone is located? I'm Gold Coast AU. Jamie Durrant

Back