Original Song (I'm Depressed)

That was awesome! I think I just time-travelled back to the 90s.
The only suggestion I have is that at about 30-40 seconds in, I kind of wanted there to be some 16th notes with the drums, maybe high hat. To add some more energy. But I love it as is too.

That was awesome! I think I just time-travelled back to the 90s.
The only suggestion I have is that at about 30-40 seconds in, I kind of wanted there to be some 16th notes with the drums, maybe high hat. To add some more energy. But I love it as is too.

that's interesting, jessica. the original had 16th note high hats right after "if you were me" line, and i forgot to program them this time, but thanks for reminding me. i'll do that later today

i'm glad you liked it jessica thanks!

oh btw, what about it sounds 90s?

The tone of the girl's voice, and the words. It made me want to watch Empire Records and buy some Doc Martens. In a good way.

hi everyone. i put up a new mix. i added more weight to the floor tom, added a few cymbals like Jessica mentioned, fixed a few timing issues, and tried to get the vocal to sit in the pocket better. one thing i worry about is there's not a lot of bright sounds or high end. i'm personally not a fan of high end, but i know people like it. is there enough? i just don't have any bright instruments in the song so i'm not sure what to do about it.

https://soundcloud.com/suicidevan/im-depressed

Last edited:
I do like the tom. There isn't much high end to hear. I'm getting the occasional crash but no hats or rides or anything like that. Still a dark mix. If that's what you're going for, fine. The vocal is sitting well for me.

I do like the tom. There isn't much high end to hear. I'm getting the occasional crash but no hats or rides or anything like that. Still a dark mix. If that's what you're going for, fine. The vocal is sitting well for me.

Thanks, Robus. Do you think the dark mix is a bad thing? I figured since the song is about depression maybe it fits.
In "mastering" (lol), I could bump the highs a bit, but I think it would just add noise since there's not much info there.

I wouldn't try to boost highs with EQ. There's nothing happening up in those frequencies. You can't boost what isn't there. If you wanted to brighten this mix, you'd need to add some kind of instrument to occupy those frequencies. If you did, that instrument wouldn't need much help from EQ to pop out. It has no competition.

It's your song, your mix Nola. I personally like mixes with a range of activity across the frequency spectrum, from low to high. But if dark is what you want, that's cool.

I wouldn't try to boost highs with EQ. There's nothing happening up in those frequencies. You can't boost what isn't there. If you wanted to brighten this mix, you'd need to add some kind of instrument to occupy those frequencies. If you did, that instrument wouldn't need much help from EQ to pop out. It has no competition.

It's your song, your mix Nola. I personally like mixes with a range of activity across the frequency spectrum, from low to high. But if dark is what you want, that's cool.

Thanks, Robus. I can't hear any other instrumental parts to add, so what I am going to try to do is move the organ part up one octave or maybe double it an octave higher and see if that helps brighten things in a good way. We'll see how that goes.

I wouldn't try to boost highs with EQ. There's nothing happening up in those frequencies. You can't boost what isn't there.

I have to listen again, but generally any tune with vocals guitar and drums will have energy in the 12kHz and up area. Its just subtle. You can try a sloped eq boost and it'll enhance the highest end of the main instruments.

On the other hand, cutting the mid mud can have the same effect since you'll perceive less from that area and things will sound brighter without actually boosting the higher areas.

Back